Can Network W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mario andretti

Car
220ce 300ce and 300se
Right I am looking at putting an engine from a pre 2000 w202 into a w124. I am looking at how to get around the immobiliser and I am wondering is retro fitting the data communication box and engine ecu and ignition switch going to be enough. My only concern is that the system needs the abs ecu etc before the start command can be given.
The other thing is the electronic steering lock as does this need to be present for the start procedure or will what I have said earlier work for me.
Many thanks in advance for info received

Apparently the Bosch diesel ECU can be stripped back to ignore the CAN and immobiliser functions.
Thinking about it, that's not surprising since it is a generic Bosch VP36 type ECU.

One off a VW might be easier to transplant as there is no additional stuff connected to it, such as electronic steering lock (which does need feedback), gearbox, ABS...etc.

Interesting, but personally I wouldn't do it to a M103 engined CE. The diesel to some degree makes sense and I can understand the attraction - the reduced car tax and better mpg will be offset by the cost & work involved and it's debatable if it would add any value to the car. The M111 2.3 Kompressor is not, again imo, inkeeping with a W124. I've had both M103's & M111's, I'd take the six pot all day long in a W124, cracking engine and all that the M111 Kompressor is. Also, I presume you'll be looking at fitting a manual g/box too? Just my 2p's worth. ;)

Now, if you have a look on 190.mercedes.co.uk you should find W201's with some similar transplants (W201's have KE-Jet just like your CE and are of the same era i.e. wiring systems are the same etc). So, you should get an idea of what's involved with the electronics. Might be worth bearing in mind too that pre '97 W202's have a key rather than the EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch & electronic steering lock).

Good luck with the project and it would nice to hear how you get on.

Dieselman what way is feedback given from the steering lock as is it via can or hard wiring.
Mr jones the engine is in and I have been driving it for the last year using a mechanical pump but it just lacks the take off that the EDC pump has. Plus it is using the five speed auto and it is working very well at the mo.

Does anyone have a diagram of the eis wiring as where do all of the various wires go...

Dieselman what way is feedback given from the steering lock as is it via can or hard wiring.
Mr jones the engine is in and I have been driving it for the last year using a mechanical pump but it just lacks the take off that the EDC pump has. Plus it is using the five speed auto and it is working very well at the mo.

I thought it was a wired connection, not data.

It seems to talk via a can line but a very basic one but just looking for a diagram so I dont leave anything out. It seems to be the gateway of the can so not connecting comfort can shouldnt be an issue I hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom