Can oil last 20,000 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonygw

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 CDI AMG Blue efficiency diesel
Apparently it can.

Make up your own mind ;-)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting stuff...

yup and mobil. I must admit their testing is pretty thorough..
It must say something if they run a GM car to 120K miles.. they only normally last 60K LOL

Hi,
My Audi 3.0 TDI V6 has a similar service regime, 18kish miles or two years, but it had to have specific long life oil, which is/was super expensive directly from Audi, but from VW Commercial less than half the price and that's retail price
Never really thought about the amount of miles it was doing between services but I would do the mileage in approx a year, though even if i didn't do the miles I would of still changed the oil yearly.
The car has done approx. 150k miles now and is still rattly and noisy as it was at 69k miles when it had FASH (3.0TDI V6 known to be quite noisy an agricultural, but what a lovely smooth engine to drive).

How many engines die of lubrication related failure these days?

Service intervals have got longer, but engines and oil technology has moved on.

Gone are the days of rebores, decokes, crank regrinds and the like. In general, cars are in the bin due to costly ancillary failures or other issues (or are outdated!) well before the engines have worn out.

I buy that VW 507.00 and use it in the
Hi,
My Audi 3.0 TDI V6 has a similar service regime, 18kish miles or two years, but it had to have specific long life oil, which is/was super expensive directly from Audi, but from VW Commercial less than half the price and that's retail price
Never really thought about the amount of miles it was doing between services but I would do the mileage in approx a year, though even if i didn't do the miles I would of still changed the oil yearly.
The car has done approx. 150k miles now and is still rattly and noisy as it was at 69k miles when it had FASH (3.0TDI V6 known to be quite noisy an agricultural, but what a lovely smooth engine to drive).

I use that LongLife C3 VW 507.00 oil in the Merc and a Hyundai .

But I don't get ripped off with the price .

4gSw8VF-1.jpg

20201028_131517.jpg

20201028_131540.jpg

Very high quality oil could last 20,000 miles under the most ideal conditions which would be exclusively very long trips and and the minimum number of cold starts. That's excludes most of us so it would be reckless to recommend a 20,000 miles oil change interval for general use.

I stand to be corrected but with our Sprinter we were told or I think the service booklet stated the first service was at 36000 miles??? Not sure and I will get the wife to dig out the service booklet but we were told the oil passes through a laser beam that monitors the oil??

I have an open mind on these issues as I can think back to the service intervals being every 3000 miles and everyone was saying it was madness to go any longer than that.

I too was dubious but the '57 plate Vito I had averaged 20 to 25,000 miles between oil changes as per the variable service indicator & I had a chance to look inside the engine when they had it apart at the dealer when it expired at 225,000 miles (cracked cylinder head, not lubrication related) & I could still see the hone marks on the cylinder walls. It didn't drink any oil between services either.

In the words of Scotty Kilmer (Find him on you tube)
Oil is cheap engines are not

At £6 for 5 litres.. he's not wrong...

I ran my CLK from new on Mobil 1, with variable ASSYST it called for a service every two years which sometimes was 17 - 18,000 miles between services. It's now on 150,000 miles and still doesn't use any oil between services.

In the words of Scotty Kilmer (Find him on you tube)
Oil is cheap engines are not

At £6 for 5 litres.. he's not wrong...
It’s all relative.

5L of decent quality oil doesn’t cost £6 normally, usually around £30 as you can see on the shelf ticket - and if you’re paying for the privilege at a main dealer it’s often nearer £10 or so plus VAT per litre - £100 or more for the 8L or so needed plus the labour and a filter of course :)

The point is, changing the engine oil every 5k miles doesn’t stop the typical issues most modern engines suffer from. Ancillary failures, electrical issues, sensors, injectors, glow plugs etc etc.

I’d say with most typical Mercedes you probably get more transmission related issues than engine oil related problems anyway - but I think fresh engine oil makes people feel better I guess ;)

A bit like how clean cars drive better, or a new MOT pass or something :D

How many engines die of lubrication related failure these days?

Service intervals have got longer, but engines and oil technology has moved on.

Gone are the days of rebores, decokes, crank regrinds and the like. In general, cars are in the bin due to costly ancillary failures or other issues (or are outdated!) well before the engines have worn out.

Poor maintenance does lead to issues, e.g. 'black death' on Diesel engines etc. The point however is that cars change hands usually every 2-3 years, so it's typically the next owner (or the one after that) who pay the price of the neglect.

I dont see the point of servicing any car earlier than the recommended intervals. The manufacturer recommended intervals will likely have a large margin added as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom