Can 'S' mode be set as default on a W204?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reffro

Car
CLS350 CDI Coupe AMG Sport
Quick question to which I guess the answer is no, but what the hey.

I want 'S' mode to be the default transmission mode on start up in my C350CDI, does anyone know if and how it could be done?

I asked a couple of years ago regarding the W212 I had at the time and the answer was as you guessed "NO", however, two years on, maybe someone has sussed this neat little mod. You need somone good with STAR.

When I first had my W204 in early 2008 the 'box defaulted at startup to whatever mode it was in when you switched it off. Then there was a software upgrade and from then on it always defaulted to "E" mode, as does my current W212. My wife's 2009 R171 behaves like my W204 originally did, i.e. the 'box defaults at startup to whatever mode it was in when you switched it off (unless that was Manual mode).

What's not clear is whether or not there is a software flag that allows the default behaviour to be changed, or whether it's a "hard" setting. As Aoraki says, you'll need someone who really knows STAR. Perhaps Richard knows?

As above my 08/09 c63 would start in the previous setting used the newer w204 all revert back to c.

They probably revert back as that is the gearbox setting deemed to be most economical - same reason as "ECO" being the default start-up option for stop-start.

I imagine its to do with emissions regs meaning it will always to default to the most economic mode of operating- a bit like the stop start function is always enabled on engine start despite any previous setting.

Mr E beat me to it!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, kind of thought this would be the case. What's really annoying is that I get better fuel economy driving in 'S; mode, in addition to being less frustrating due to poor throttle response.

I'm not sure if this helps, but my car has the dynamic handling package with the sport button on the dash, and I can make the car default to sport mode by removing the fuse for this system.not sure if this can be done for just the transmission.

Mine is a 2009, and fortunately stays in which ever mode I set it to. S is also more economical for me.

Slightly off topic but I'm interested by Pittsey and Reffro's comments of better economy in S mode. Do you guys have lead boots or is S mode more economical for you even when driving sedately?

I would guess E better economy for sedate/normal or even slightly brisk driving, S better economy when having fun but I've never compared consumption in each mode.

I do drive quite aggressively some would say, but also economically. I like to accelerate more quickly than most to my chosen speed using 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. In 'C' mode the throttle response is so bloody woolly that I find myself using more throttle to compensate, as its so slow to pick up. Most of my driving is in town on daily basis, when this trait is at its worst. Using 'S' mode the car picks up when I want it too, so I'm less tempted to stamp on the go pedal, the change up points are virtually identical and it still drops into higher gears when travelling at a constant speed. My fuel economy is therefore fractionally better using 'S' mode, plus I'm a lot less frustrated behind the wheel.

Sounds fairly similar to my driving style. I'll have to try using Sport more often. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom