Can sagging sofas be fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
I have a sofa from Furniture Village, approximately 18 months old. Not particularly expensive, but really comfy at first. However, after about a year it began to sag at the two ends we sit on. One end has a chaise longue, and because it sags at the bit you sit on, it is now quite difficult to get up from :(. Is it possible to get this remedied in any way, or is it just the hallmark of a cheap, poor quality brand? It irritates me so much that I would rather just get rid of it and start again if it cannot be sorted.

Before you take it to the tip ( ie you are just about to anyway) take a look at the springs just under the cheesecloth covering at the bottom.

There could be a few long springs that have broken and these can easily be replaced

See Ebay for replacement and get the size right

:thumb:

If it were me, I would complain. Unless you are both huge its a bit unreasonable (no matter what the purchase price) for a sofa to fail in 18 months.Maybe speak to an upholsterer and get a quote for reapir and enclose a copy with your complaint "item 18 months old and requires £xx repair less than 18 months since purchase, sale of goods act etc"

You don't mention whether it is foam or springs?

This not any good to you?????????

Five year structural guarantee

Thanks for this link. I know that Furniture Village claim to provide a 5-year guarantee, but having read a number of reviews of their customer service (almost exclusively bad), I suspect the get-out will be the phrase "excluding fair wear and tear". The sofa is still useable, just not very comfortable, and I imagine they will claim a degree of sagging constitutes fair wear and tear.

It is foam rather than springs.

Surely if its foam not springs there is less to go wrong?

I normally say not to expect too much when you don't pay much but I think in this case 18 months is just too short a time for failure.

I wouldn't expect a £300 Argos special bought sight unseen to fail after 18 months, hence go after them. It's a principle thing.

Sounds like you don't have a lot to lose. Take pics though ;)

I wouldn't expect a £300 Argos special bought sight unseen to fail after 18 months, hence go after them. It's a principle thing.

Indeed, I'm currently sat on a £300 Argos special that is still as good(bad) as the day it was bought!:rolleyes:

There should be a lining underneath which should be stapled on. Remove the staples carefully. Once the lining is off you should be able to see the affected areas. All you need to do know is stuff more foam where it is sagging. This should remedy the problem. Whilst you are under there, check for frame damage just in case.

Your furniture sounds like it has elastic webbing and I would bet its made in China,I would call furniture village to inspect/repair(just refuse to accept no)
I used to work in the upholsered furniture trade and you have a very common complaint.

If it were me, I would complain. Unless you are both huge its a bit unreasonable (no matter what the purchase price) for a sofa to fail in 18 months.Maybe speak to an upholsterer and get a quote for reapir and enclose a copy with your complaint "item 18 months old and requires £xx repair less than 18 months since purchase, sale of goods act etc"

I agree , we bought a £400 sofa from Ikea ' just to get us started ' - that was 11 years ago and it is still good as new :thumb:

Regardless of makers guarantees , common law states that goods must be 'of merchantable quality' , 'fit for purpose' and must last for 'a reasonable time' .

In the case of most consumer goods , the courts view 'a reasonable time' as about six years . Therefore , if the retailer ( with whom you have the contract and therefore are legally responsible ) won't play ball , you have a very good case in the small claims court and they could be ORDERED to pay for a replacement .

Your local citizens advice bureau should be able to confirm this .

Here in Scotland , a small claims action costs you about £30 ..... I'd guess not too different in England .

The man from Furniture Village came out today. Despite there being measureable sagging of around 3 inches between the back and front of the chaise, the man from FV declared it to be normal settling, to be expected after about 6 months of use in all but the most expensive sofas. Just goes to show their stuff is cheap rubbish, and exactly the kind of after sales service I expected based on the reviews they get.

The man from Furniture Village came out today. Despite there being measureable sagging of around 3 inches between the back and front of the chaise, the man from FV declared it to be normal settling, to be expected after about 6 months of use in all but the most expensive sofas. Just goes to show their stuff is cheap rubbish, and exactly the kind of after sales service I expected based on the reviews they get.
I wouldn't have let him get out of the door....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom