Can speed humps really do this ?

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by RickMM, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ToeKnee

ToeKnee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. Vauxhall insignia diesel
    Millions of cars go over speed bumps on a daily basis, if the bumps were causing this kind of damage it would happen to thousands of cars each day and would be all over the news, my bet is alignment

2. Steveml63

Steveml63 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML63 AMG
    Hi,
    In Abu Dhabi and Dubai there are speed bumps everywhere.
    I probably go over them more than 100 times per day.
    They dont seem to cause any undue wear on tyres and certainly nothing like the wear shown in the OPs photo.
    I do believe that they cause premature wear in the suspension bushes - along with the dust and extreme heat!
    Cheers
    Steve

3. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    Is it odd that people buy hugely quick cars and live in congested cities?

4. Cyclone1

Cyclone1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W218 CLS63 AMG
    Looks like normal inner tyre wear on AMG cars.

5. KennyN

KennyN Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 440i Coupe
    Looks like the camber is miles out , in a negative direction.

Alignment check is the way to go but as a quickie put the car on level ground and hold a spirit level vertically on the wheel with it touching the lower part of the tyre then with the bubble resting in the middle measure the gap at the top of the tyre and do some maths and it will give you roughly how many degrees of negative camber there is.

I know there are many more elements in the geometry equation but it will give you a rough idea whats going on.

K

6. OP
    OP
    RickMM

RickMM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 Saloon
    Thanks for all your input and comments.
    The car had Michelins all round. There was some similar wear on the near-side back as well, there was a smidge of canvas showing there too. You probably can't see from the photo but 90% of the tread is still well within the wear limit. It really is just the last 2-3cm that's been fatally abused.
    If I get this correct, there seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion as to the possible cause, although most folk suggest it's got to be down to bad steering geometry. Anyway, I've got four new tyres now so might as well get the set-up checked out.

Can anyone recommend a good independent place to do this either in North Birmingham or Cambridge area? (I do a strange weekly commute !).

7. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Many of these speed bumps have broken edges, which cut through the tyre (or rim).

8. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    An alignment check / geometry adjustment will almost certainly pay for itself with the improvement in tyre lifespan if you’ve fitted four new ones. If everything is all okay, you’ve not really lost anything (usually a report/chassis image is either cheap or free) so no downside to having it checked properly :)

Blaming that degree of shoulder wear on speed humps alone seems far fetched to me - I would get a second opinion :cool:

clk320x likes this.
  9. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    clk320x likes this.
  10. Steve84N

Steve84N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG S204
    Only as odd as someone who doesn't have an AMG trolling the AMG lounge and thinking that people never leave the city or that speed humps don't also exist in towns or...

11. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    I wasn't aware that I had inadvertently entered the AMG lounge, don't you have a private place for this stuff?

12. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Isn’t it a bit like how we buy more convertibles/cabriolets in the UK than anywhere else in Europe? :)

13. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yes but you need 500+bhp these days to stand a chance on the traffic light GP :cool:

And regards speed humps, you can accelerate quickly between each set. And the AMG brakes mean you can stop quickly too :D ;)

clk320x and DrFeelgood like this.
  14. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    No, that's because we don't get the weather the rest of Europe has. Drop the roof in most countries with decent hot sunshine and your head will be fried within 30 minutes. Do the same in the UK and you can have the roof down all day long with no discomfort.

15. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Or get wet! :)

knighterrant, Smart320 and rf065 like this.
  16. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    :D

See, that's a good natured, mature post.

I don't know what's wrong with the types like the guy who accused me of trolling. Insecure I guess.

renault12ts likes this.
  17. Steve84N

Steve84N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG S204
    Grow up.

I come on forums to share information about cars I'm into and talk about interesting stuff, not read snide comments from people who don't get fast cars. There's plenty of boring talk in the other sections. With over 8,000 posts you ought to know how the forum works by now... Some really useful recent contributions:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    knighterrant likes this.
  18. Lee C63

Lee C63 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 (weistec supercharged)
    MB dealer stated that they had a lot of issues with alloys cracking due to stradling speed bumps and placing the inner part of wheels under greater stress......having seen an alloy crack I never straddle speed bumps and alternate which side goes over the bump and which stays on road......friend who owns a garage stated he changes bushing on various cars ona weekly basis which is also due to straddling speed bumps

19. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    It certainly appears to be the "go to" excuse even if it's not the real reason. Alloys crack due to severe load at speed, (being wide & built for reduced weight doesn't help), 99% of the time that would be a pothole. It's convenient to blame something that cannot answer back though, makes it easy for them to absolve themselves from any blame or responsibility. Ball joints and bushes though, I agree, speed bumps are not good for them even at slow speeds.

knighterrant and Steve84N like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    RickMM

RickMM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 Saloon
    Any other recommendations for a good independent place to do wheel alignment either in North Birmingham or Cambridge area?