Can we get 4matic spec'd on w212 estate in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
Guys

has anyone enquired about having a e-class estate specc'd with 4matic? I know its available in Europe and the states but not sure in the UK.

thanks

MB keep saying they're going to do this, but there's no sign of it actually happening.

The issue is that the forward drive shaft fouls the steering gear for RHD so it needs to be redsigned.

I read the other day that BMW is bringing back the X saloons and estates for the UK.

Guys

has anyone enquired about having a e-class estate specc'd with 4matic? I know its available in Europe and the states but not sure in the UK.

thanks

Long ongoing saga this one. I'm afraid I don't buy the unacceptable development costs argument, since in this day of computer design it will take the click of a mouse to produce a fully engineered "mirror image" front end for RHD. My guess is that the inertia comes from MB UK who are not prepared to guarantee to take a certain number of RHD 4matic models should MB produce them. The reasons for this may even go back to the original 4MATIC w124 models which had huge warranty repercussions in the UK and may be still colouring their thinking.:dk:

Guys

thanks
Would that not mean the near guaranteed death of the R-Class though?
Just a thought...:rolleyes:

They said they were going to make the engineering changes so GLK could be sold in RHD markets - IIRC Australia was mentioned as a potentially significant market.

I guess the trouble is that even the people who say they want an AWD MB may not buy one if it was actually offered - there are downsides to AWD. The overall market must be pretty small and will be further fragmented by BMW's offerings.

Long ongoing saga this one. I'm afraid I don't buy the unacceptable development costs argument, since in this day of computer design it will take the click of a mouse to produce a fully engineered "mirror image" front end for RHD.

Yes, but that would mean mirroring individual components such as steering racks and arms, brackets, and much else. The trick is to use existing components to affordably create a RHD 4x4.

M-B dropped the RHD 4WD 639 Vito too (it was quietly removed from the UK range brochures).

Road tax becomes much more expensive for AWD which might put some people off

Yes, but that would mean mirroring individual components such as steering racks and arms, brackets, and much else. The trick is to use existing components to affordably create a RHD 4x4.
Don't quite agree with what you are saying sorry . The way to do it would be reverse the transfer box so that the drive shaft goes down the left hand side of the engine rather than the right. As far as I can see this would mainly involve changes to pretty basic stuff------ the orientation of the gearbox casings and the sump casting and a mirror image front subframe. All the elaborate engineering stuff ---design strength of the gear train components/transfer box internals /drive shafts /associate bearings and UJs/ SEALS/ lubricant specs/ hub and suspension design/ electronic control circuitry/ software integration and menus/ traction control software/brakes/servicing data/parts
ITS ALL ESSENTIALLY THE SAME! :thumb:
If you swap the drive train orientation all the the rest of the RHD stuff - steering column instruments controls etc stays the same and its already developed. :dk:

PS It was rumoured that if a RHD GLK was going to made available in the UK market it would be RWD version only which sort of defeats the purpose really.:(

Would that Mercedes could show the imagination the engineers that developed the initial Audi quattro system had----where the rear end of the car was essentially a front subframe and transmission with the steering arms locked solid.

Last edited:
I have an E320CDi estate,that has covered now,over 300K miles.I shall buy something a lot newer this year.If I want a similar CDI estate,which I do,then I can either brong a LHD one over from Germany and register it here.I do travel a lot in Europe.Or buy an Audi Quatro estate diesel(say A6 3.0 Litre),which I don't want to do.Any suggestions(not M or GL please)?

Has anyone checked whether RHD versions exist for other markets - such as Japan ??

Has anyone checked whether RHD versions exist for other markets - such as Japan ??

They don't.

LHD cars are quite widely used in Japan and MB does show LHD 4Matic there: Mercedes-Benz official site

One (possibly) interesting thing about Japan is they have 4WD versions of quite a lot of their cars - for instance you can get Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz in 4WD, in RHD of course. My wife has a Jazz and I think a 4WD version would be quite neat (although it's performed well in the last couple of winters here anyway).

One (possibly) interesting thing about Japan is they have 4WD versions of quite a lot of their cars
They do, including vans and people carriers. A friend of mine imported these for a while:

Mitsubishi.jpg

A luxurious people-carrier body on a 4WD Shogun chassis!

Those are fun, my little sis had one for a while but it met its demise after being poleaxed by a Focus.

Mercedes won't bring a 4 wheel drive car to the uk because the transfer box on a lhd car limits the right hand side footstool too much. They would need to re-design the floor plan and too many components for it to be commercially viable. They don't think they would sell enough of them to warrant the extra expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom