Can you avoid driving through Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Peripherique has a fearsome reputation I have never felt it's deserved. OK, rush hour is busy but so is any city ring road.

Sunday - no problem.
Thursday evening - no problem after 1830.

Plus Paris tends to empty during August for the holidays, so traffic tends to be much lighter than normal anyway. I've only be held up once, and that was through coming into Paris at about 1600 on a Friday night.

Compiegne is a really nice town and we've spent some enjoyable breaks in the area. Don't sweat about the Peripherique...

I agree, in the hundreds of times I've driven the peripherique I've rarely been delayed by more than half an hour or so.

Go straight through the middle of Paris! Arc de Triomphe has to be experienced at least once (but can become addictive) it is the maddest piece of Tarmac I have ever driven on. Absolutely bonkers. For real fun go to the top of the Arc and spend an hour watching all the crashes. Awesome

1. Dover to Dunkirk - already booked cheapest crossing by a mile.

Russ

How cheap is it??

You can get a crossing on the tunnel for £30, so much easier than messing around with Ferries.

How cheap is it??

You can get a crossing on the tunnel for £30, so much easier than messing around with Ferries.

Dover - Dunkirk is about £60 return, priced the tunnel for the same times & it was £130. Ferries from Portsmouth etc were coming in at £200 to £300.

Our preferred route would have been the ferry to Spain which we used in March this year, but for Sept, it was very pricy.

Russ

Go on the A26 via Reims and you'll pick up the main Autoroute (A7?) at Beaune heading to the South. Used this route many times, a lot quieter
That's the way we came back from Nice on Saturday, also use the Lorry route Around Lyon as opposed to going straight through the middle, much less traffic.
By the way we left Nice at 8.45am and got to the Chunnel at 20.25 about 770miles.

By the way we left Nice at 8.45am and got to the Chunnel at 20.25 about 770miles.

After a week and a half in south France we are going to Barcelona for a couple of days. So the trip from there back to Compiegne for the night is around 700 miles, hope the traffic is light! :thumb:

Russ

Just came back from south of france yesterday. Cruised at 140kph on the toll roads - was an absolute dream. The Europeans drive so much better than us! Lot less traffic though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom