Can you avoid driving through Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rf065

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
As the title says, we drove through Paris this year on the "Terriforique" and we are going back to France in September and would like to avoid the mayhem if possible. :eek:

From Glasgow to the South of France, we plan to stop in Compiegne just north of Paris for the night. Next morning should we join the Paris route or is their another route around Paris that is not subjected to long delays and lunatics?

We are planning to stay at the same place on the return journey but will not hit Paris till evening, not sure if the roads are quieter by then?

Russ

The Peripherique...like the M25.

Last edited:
Depending on where you are going there is a route via Troyes and Dijon that skips Paris altogether

Try Google Earth...it doesn't get much clearer than that.

Obvious questions:
  1. What's your port of entry?
  2. What's your destination?
  3. Do you have to stay at Compiègne?

Go on the A26 via Reims and you'll pick up the main Autoroute (A7?) at Beaune heading to the South. Used this route many times, a lot quieter

Even the A86 gets very busy with commuter traffic to the various business parks surrounding Paris.

All I can say is that the French tend not to be early starters, so if you can get on the Terriforique early enough you'll avoid the worse of it.

But if I had to choose one over the other I'd go for the A86 myself.

The Peripherique...like the M25.

posted this before from the internet.........................

"The M25 has a similar function nowadays to the 'Terriferique' which is a genuine motoring experience. It has two forms, the exterior and the interior allowing Parisians to go in both directions.

Culturally the approach is different. Speed is hinted at on the M25 by illustrations of cameras and signs advising of speed limits whereas the Terriferique has two speeds, stop and go. Go has more conviction than on the M25 and to add to the sense of movement it is general practice to change lanes as often as possible. This is not done on the M25. Most cars have a favourite lane and stick to it the only time sudden lane changing and high speed is used is when a 'slip' lane is encountered."

Russ

Obvious questions:
  1. What's your port of entry?
  2. What's your destination?
  3. Do you have to stay at Compiègne?

1. Dover to Dunkirk - already booked cheapest crossing by a mile.
2. La Redorte - near Carcassonne & Spanish border.
3. Compiegne - roughly half way point in both directions, hotel booked already.

Russ

Take the ring road bypassing, going through Paris heading toward Reims then main
A7 done this many times its a good route Dunkirk to La Ciotat 9 hrs

You can, but if you do it's less than optimal to stay in Compiègne. if you veer off towards Reims it'll add 80 miles or so to your journey.

Or go more westerley and go Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Bordeaux, that is all motorway. Then cut across from Bordeaux to the A20 on the A62. That'll add 100 miles or so.

Probably I'd go Rouen, Chartres, Orléans, Limoges, Toulouse. That'll add only 30 miles and avoid Paris completely. You'll need to cancel Compiègne though. The only bit of dual carriage trunk road in there is the bit through Chartres, the rest is Peage or free motorway.

A Sunday from Compiegne to south France and a Thursday on the way back.

Russ

Sunday morning, why not drive through the centre of the city...its quiet. Also you'll have no problem at all on the Peripherique. So, you have choices. I'd go through the centre to see the sights.

Go on the A26 via Reims and you'll pick up the main Autoroute (A7?) at Beaune heading to the South. Used this route many times, a lot quieter

Same here, it's a one shot route to the Azur. Keep on rollin'

You need to drive through Paris, just once in your life....

312 Sprinter said:
Probably I'd go Rouen, Chartres, Orléans, Limoges, Toulouse. That'll add only 30 miles and avoid Paris completely. You'll need to cancel Compiègne though. The only bit of dual carriage trunk road in there is the bit through Chartres, the rest is Peage or free motorway.
Rouen/Chartres would be my suggestion too. It's also the cheapest of the faster routes for tolls: €36 vs €59 via Paris and €87 if you went via Reims on the A26.

Oh, I forgot to say that the Ibis Chartres Centre Cathédrale (approx 4hrs from Dunkirk) is a good place for a night stop. It's easy to get to and it's within easy walking distance of plenty of reasonable restaurants and bars.

The Peripherique has a fearsome reputation I have never felt it's deserved. OK, rush hour is busy but so is any city ring road.

Sunday - no problem.
Thursday evening - no problem after 1830.

Plus Paris tends to empty during August for the holidays, so traffic tends to be much lighter than normal anyway. I've only be held up once, and that was through coming into Paris at about 1600 on a Friday night.

Compiegne is a really nice town and we've spent some enjoyable breaks in the area. Don't sweat about the Peripherique...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom