Can you cancel malfunction warnings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starlight

Car
C220d AMG Premium Line Plus (2018)
This relates to a C220 Cdi (W205)( (2015).

The car is currently displaying an "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction" warning, helpfully discussed in another recent thread.

It has absolutely no impact on driveability (and the Eco Stop Start function has never worked properly anyway). So I'm planning to get it fixed in about a month when the next service is due. Making a special trip to the dealer in the meantime would be a major hassle.

I seem to recall when a minor, non-critical fault developed in my old E-Class (W211) the malfunction warning could be cancelled: it would disappear from the instrument cluster and become stored in the "Malfunction memory".

The constant flashing of the battery warning every 5 seconds right in the centre of the cluster is driving me nuts. I'm pretty sure that the answer is "No" - but is there anyway to get rid of it short of getting the work done.

It might seem an extreme reaction, but this wholly unnecessary pest of a feature in the car is making me want to get rid of it.

Have you tried clicking OK when the Malfunction list screen is displayed? Might clear it, at least until next IGN on.

Sadly, clicking "okay" has no effect at all. And looking at what mer85 has said, if this is going to happen when the screenwash level is low, I despair! I thought it might be possible to store it in the ASSYST PLUS section of the display menu....but seemingly not.

It's so distracting it borders on a safety hazard. When I look down to see the speed in the digital "trip" menu read out, there it is - flashing away and bringing on Basil Fawlty moments.

icarsoft MB2 a bit expensive just to clear a fault code but a very useful piece of kit for lots of other things MB

I've now looked into this further. According to the manual, messages, other than red ones, ought to be cancellable. In this car, it just can't be done. Also When I go to the Messages section in the Service menu (in instrument display)... "No messages". It's an infernal pain.

Gaffer tape over the msg

I have one of these:
553999810.jpg
Plug in to the odb port, download the app, connect via Bluetooth, read errors and clear them. Works for most of the basic faults and niggles. Of course it only clears the fault, not fix the problem

There certainly are some extortionate prices out there for what is basically a spreadsheet interface.

I have diagnosed then fixed loads of stuff on all the mercs I have owned that have odb ports all with my £20 reader. Cat and maf sensors, egr faults, exhaust temp and management systems. A lot of things that like to cause stuttering and stalling issues all identified and fixed.

Plus you get the extra cool factor by able to see and record in realtine torque, actual bhp, accelormeter and g force and all sorts of other metrics on your smart phone while driving with the reader plugged in.

Used it once for that:D but it is cool

You can obviously opt for the iCarsoft MB v2.0 which is probably the best DIY scanner for Mercedes Benz cars - but it's pricey at ~£130.

I have both the Carly and the iCarsoft, and while the Carly is easier to use, the iCarsoft covers more ECUs and has more functions.

Nice. Keep us updated. Pics of the kind of data it gives you would be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom