Can you copy sat nav disk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marquisofraspberry

Car
C270 cdi Estate 2002, C220 cdi Estate 2004
As the title says. I bought an E320 which has command nav, sadly within a short while of ownership the gearbox has failed and the car is being returned to the dealer. I've sourced another car but it appears the sat nav disk is missing, so can I copy my current one and insert the copy into the new car?
Not sure if both nav units are the same, they look the same, sorry Merc newbie.

I'm no expert but as far as im aware you need to be really careful with copied DVDs.
They can brick the whole Comand unit leaving it pretty much useless.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

What was the model year of the original car and the model year of it's replacement?
Why copy it? Just try the original disc, it'll work or it won't depending on COMAND version.
Generally COMAND unit don't like reading copied discs...

What was the model year of the original car and the model year of it's replacement?
Why copy it? Just try the original disc, it'll work or it won't depending on COMAND version.
Generally COMAND unit don't like reading copied discs...
2005 E320, 2002 C270
The E320 is being returned to the dealer as it's gearbox has let go within their returns policy, and I can't steal the DVD.

If you want to try anything, copy the disc using a quality blank DVD and set the copy speed at the lowest you can (based on my experience with copied CD's in car CD players) and try the copy in the old car to see if it works! If it does you can decide which disc you leave in the old car when you part with it....:oops::oops::D

As said (and from what I've read), the COMAND doesn't like copied discs and can brick the system. If you decide to use a copy, ensure it is of high quality and copied at a low speed.
The discs are expensive so if you don't want to shell out on a new one, look for a second hand (perhaps a year old?) disc, generally half price or less

Well I am no IT clever person but you do need to be very handy with a computer,I believe you have to get to the root directory and build the disk from that,or of course the world has spun around a few times and I do not know what I am on about,seems to be some discs on ebay for £18

If you want to try anything, copy the disc using a quality blank DVD and set the copy speed at the lowest you can (based on my experience with copied CD's in car CD players) and try the copy in the old car to see if it works! If it does you can decide which disc you leave in the old car when you part with it....:oops::oops::D
Sadly the old car goes back before the new one arrives.

£15 on eBay OE quality disc.

I used a copied disc on my CLS55 for over a year with no problems other than sometimes it would read it until I switched off/on again.

The issue with copied discs is when people used rubbish media. If you use decent quality with similar reflective properties it will lessen the effort for the laser to read the disc which is what commonly fails.
Verbatim and other quality makes have some ‘silver’ media which are closest to commercially made discs.

I do however agree that if you do not own the disc then you shouldn’t be copying it.

dd if=/dev/<DVD_rawdisk_name> of=/<filesystem_with_enough_space>/<filename> bs=8192

Should back it to hard disk

Then
dd if=/<filesystem_with_enough_space>/<filename> of=/dev/<DVD_rawdisk_name_writeable_device> bs=8192

Should do the trick..
Hope I’ve typed that correctly :)

EBay is your friend. (Search completed as well as current listings)

Just make sure you find one that is exactly for your car.

Assuming your 320 has full command then your car will have NTG1. the 2002 clk will have the earlier small screen version and I am not sure if its the same "system" /manufacturer. go to commandeurope.co.uk and give them a call they will know if it will work but are unlikely to advocate using a copied disc. If the see this they might come on with an answer anyway.

To be honest you should not be talking about copying copyright material here. As MB could see it as a crime.

True, but you can legally back up your own disc and keep/use the copy ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom