Can you crash a Unimog?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Yes you can :)

A mate sent this to me a couple of months back, he works for a company (which will remain nameless) and drives one daily, in and around the Fens.

He says he didnt realise how close he was to the edge of the ditch.

He had to phone to be rescued as he couldnt push the door open from the position he was sat/stood in due to the weight of it, thus couldnt get out :D

The only stock vehicle which can drive 45° IIRC

ruOJVaM.jpg

The fleet has been replaced with the newest model:

FEokFtF.jpg

MrPBpSS.jpg

Wow I have never seen one of those before. Cool!

I hope it's a private company and not council funded!

Kinda, it was rescued with a couple of scratches so all good :D

I drove one in the army many moons ago - we used them as gun tractors in an operation on one of our borders (got our asses kicked as well) - pulling a 3t field gun, ~3t ammo, 6 gunners, me and all our gear and they were awesome never got stuck compared to the old Bedfords.

Absolutely love these, my old boss has a green one, never got to drive it but to sit in one going round was an experience

Reactions: 219
He had to phone to be rescued as he couldnt push the door open from the position he was sat/stood in due to the weight of it, thus couldnt get out :D

ruOJVaM.jpg

Why didn't he exit via the passenger side window? Too thick or too fat?

I wondered about that as well, but looking at the shape & size of the door and window I suspect they don't go down very far.

I wondered about that as well, but looking at the shape & size of the door and window I suspect they don't go down very far.

It is easily unnoticed but virtually all cars/trucks have multiple exit routes for roll over egress. Even if that is sometimes a canvas roof, sidescreens etc. Hard to believe MB overlooked what Reliant got right with its Bond Bug.
Maybe, the driver just wasn't thinking straight enough to figure it out.

It is easily unnoticed but virtually all cars/trucks have multiple exit routes for roll over egress. Even if that is sometimes a canvas roof, sidescreens etc. Hard to believe MB overlooked what Reliant got right with its Bond Bug.
Maybe, the driver just wasn't thinking straight enough to figure it out.

Presumably MB's assumption is that you'd be able to get out through one door or the other, but I can see that could be tricky with the vehicle on its side if they are as heavy as suggested in the OP.

It wasnt stable and kept moving/groaning he didnt want to risk getting crushed/or trapped and drowned in the ditch.

Pictures dont really give a true idea of size. If you have stood next to one of these in person, you will see they are huge. I get where he was coming from.

I can just see this thing being recovered in Russia/China/Africa etc where they are less squamish about H & S. They would get the fattest bloke they could and pop him into the basket and extend it all the way out over the 'high side' as a counterbalance , lock all the diff's and give it GAS !! :eek: :banana:

Couldn't they roll the window down? [emoji23]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom