Can you drive a diesel with no exhaust??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maddog

Hit something in the road last night and i've damaged the exhaust on my w210 estate its bent the whole system back and the down pipe and pre cat are no longer connected , it requires a ramps to remove the whole system straighten the bracket and refit its not something i can do at home

Bearing in mind the gasses are coming straight out of the turbo more or less , can the car safely be driven a few miles to a garage???

I wouldn't try this with a petrol due to the fumes and risk of fire but i understand diesel fumes are safer and colder

It should be safe enough as long as nothing is about to drop off the car.. but im pretty sure its bending the law as its not fit for the road...

Last edited:
yeah its all secure , not going to drop off off but will probably be a bit smelly in the cabin

Hope the nearest garage is not too far away. Can I suggest you make an appointment with the garage in case plod stops you, then you can state clearly that you are not in the habit of driving a vehicle in that state. Bet its a bit noisy!!!!!!!!!:eek:

hope you get it fixed

Hope the nearest garage is not too far away. Can I suggest you make an appointment with the garage in case plod stops you, then you can state clearly that you are not in the habit of driving a vehicle in that state. Bet its a bit noisy!!!!!!!!!:eek:

hope you get it fixed

I will be making an appointment and no its not far but its pretty quiet really , turbochargers are effective silencers:)

Make sure its not going to melt anything, few hundred degrees centrigade exhaust gas's coming out of that turbo:D .

Lynall

Make sure its not going to melt anything, few hundred degrees centrigade exhaust gas's coming out of that turbo:D .

Lynall

Its a lot colder than a petrol though isnt it???

Quick google reveal 300 f (148 c ) at idle at the turbo and 500-900 under normal driving , i will be pottering so perhaps 500 f (260 c) so i'm not really worried about that , it will still be going through the pre cat so no doubt a lot cooler by the time it comes out

Not sure on that but my last disco TD5 would kiss 900 deg c before the turbo so prob 700 ish out, that was on full boost up a long hard hill.
Be careful:)

Lynall

Not sure on that but my last disco TD5 would kiss 900 deg c before the turbo so prob 700 ish out, that was on full boost up a long hard hill.
Be careful:)

Lynall

900 degrees c ??? Are you sure ??

From my quick google this morning its suggested turbos give up at 1270f which is 687 c

Trust me when I say you wont even come close to those exhaust temperatures on a gentle pootle to the garage.

Dave!

Yep 900 quite regular ,chap who done the remap for me told me 900 was max safe limit for TD5, std tune will kiss 650 up same hill.

Once saw nearly a 1000 racing a TDV6 disco backed of a bit then, tried loads of different chips in it, all ran at virtually the same temp, couple of other TD5 owners also saw similiar temps.

But you will be safe if you just pootle:)

Lynall

Not on a car but, manifold and turbo could glow bright orange on Volvo loading shovels when worked hard, looked something else on winter nights :)

Yep 900 quite regular ,chap who done the remap for me told me 900 was max safe limit for TD5, std tune will kiss 650 up same hill.

Doesn't mean it's safe for the engine. Slowly but surely those temps will kill the turbo and pistons, not in one hit but the damage is cumulative.

Not everyone in LR circles agrees with your chip seller. 720c is seen as the max. But then again they want to sell you a pyrometer, not a tuning chip.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1298

http://www.thermoguard.com.au/operate.html

Doesn't steel melt at about 1300 :eek:

I think thats why they say the maximum for turbos is 1270f as the tips overheat and fail

I think there is some confusion about celsius and farenheit here
1000 c is 1832 f and steel does indeed start to melt much over 1000 c but parts would fail long before that imo for a start large parts of the turbo are aluminium

But anyhow i drove it to the garage and the world didnt end although it was a tad noisy , dont think i went over 2000rpm on the way there , certainly didnt boost it

Dieselman that link is for the TDI engine which came out in 1989 and was based on previous engines ie very very old design, i had 3 of these, not a patch on the TD5 which had electronic unit injectors and was a new engine design.

Never had the head off in the 3.5 years i had it and i got it chipped from almost day one, done roughly 50k in it.

Warped the ex man 3 times but the TD5 does this when std so not much difference then:D i modified the last manifold, cutting out the webs and drilling all the mounting holes larger bar 2 to allow for movement and helicoiled the head and was then fine, the original m8 studs screwed straight into the alloy head.

Regular oil changes driven hard most of the time and was a pretty good car.

Lynall

The upper limit of 700c is pretty accepted at the top limit irrespective of age or design of engine.

An explanatory article from Banks Power, who are the formost diesel tuner in the USA.

So the big question is, what constitutes excessive EGT? If everything is working properly, 1250º to 1300º F. is a safe turbine inlet temperature, even for sustained running, mile after mile. Above 1300º F. things can start to get edgy. Remember, excessive EGT damage is cumulative. Over 1400º F., you're usually gambling against a stacked deck and it's only a matter of time until you lose. The higher the EGT, the shorter that time will be.

Taken from.
http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/25-why-egt-is-important

Note: 1300f = 704c and 1400f = 760c.

You said you have run at 900c and even 1000c without damage. :crazy:

Hit something in the road last night and i've damaged the exhaust on my w210 estate its bent the whole system back and the down pipe and pre cat are no longer connected , it requires a ramps to remove the whole system straighten the bracket and refit its not something i can do at home

Bearing in mind the gasses are coming straight out of the turbo more or less , can the car safely be driven a few miles to a garage???

I wouldn't try this with a petrol due to the fumes and risk of fire but i understand diesel fumes are safer and colder
Biggest thing that I would worry about is the mess that would be made under the bonnet.

The rest is fixable with cash

Pipe still exited under the car so no worries about soot in the engine bay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom