Can you get arrested for hitting a bridge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well my mum was arrested when the police crashed into her. She was quickly de-arrested after asking for other officers to attend the scene, stating that the officers arresting her had a conflict of interests and impaired judgement since they were the ones to crash into her.

So I can imagine that hitting a bridge would be seen as criminal damage + several traffic violations.

Yes, & dont crash into a railway bridge, the bill will be MASSIVE !

Hit a railway bridge at any speed and cause major disruption to trains. Until it's been fully inspected by engineers a (very low) speed limit is applied over it.

Hit a railway bridge at any speed and cause major disruption to trains. Until it's been fully inspected by engineers a (very low) speed limit is applied over it.

Why would a "very low speed" be better than anything else? I would imagine that if the bridge fails when the train passes over it, it will still hurt no matter what the speed. :D

Why would a "very low speed" be better than anything else? I would imagine that if the bridge fails when the train passes over it, it will still hurt no matter what the speed. :D
If you have to come off a bridge it's better to be going at a walking pace than 70 mph!

A12 reopens after 11-mile tailbacks - East Anglian Daily Times

Inconvenient others with 11 miles of tailback, should be banned from the road for life.:wallbash:

I'd have to say it all depends on the circumstances : if , for example , the driver lost control due to an unexpected event which was outwith his control ( like a tyre blowing out ) then I'd say arrest was a bit harsh ; if , on the other hand , it was due to some shortcoming in his driving ( like speeding ) then I'd want to see the full force of the law brought to bear .

It said it was a tipper truck, though details of the accident were missing. Perhaps something along the lines of this:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPExR4OYOPI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPExR4OYOPI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Watch the pedestrian on the top left- it's amazing no one was killed.

What happens if you hit Wayne Bridge I wonder?

I use to work for a haulage company who bought another the same up north, one of their drivers was sitting in a line of traffic and as the cars went across the rail crossing so did the truck, then the cars stopped and suprisingly so did the truck on the crossing and the cars behind him, then along came the train.

I cant remember the bill but it was horrendous.

Another female truck driver stopped in the petrol station for some ciggeies then when she drove off she took the entire petrol station canopy with her! again mega expensive.

Lynall

I'd have to say it all depends on the circumstances : if , for example , the driver lost control due to an unexpected event which was outwith his control ( like a tyre blowing out )

But tyres are much more likely to blow out when incorrectly inflated... something within the driver's control.

At low speed the pressure is even but a fast speed makes the train bounce on its springs. This multiplies the force exerted on the bridge considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom