Can you give me some advice regarding my 'other car'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
HI folks, I hope you don't mind me asking a non-Merc question here. I'm driving my 2002 Honda CR-V at present while the little green roadster is being cosseted in the garage until April Fool's Day. Tonight on my way home from work (in the dark) a light came on the dash that looks like an engine. I turned off radio and heater, the better to listen, no unusual sounds, and the performance didn't change. The temperature gauge didn't change. My question? Should I be worried? It's really awkward as I have four more days to work before Mr 110rry and I set off with our little dog and a full Chrimbo dinner to our boat on the Broads, returning 2 Jan for work 3 Jan. I can get my assistant to drive me, but he is breaking up before me, I don't want to commandeer his company car for the rest of my working days, but yet I don't want to take the roadster back on to the road. Can you suggest best/worst case scenarios for my much-loved Honda? Many thanks.

I had a 2006 Honda Civic, now and then a fuse would blow and when replaced the engine warning light would come on. I used to disconnect the negative battery connection and leave it for at least 30 minutes, reconnect and the light would go out and stay out. If there is a genuine engine fault it will almost certainly come back on. The Civic would blow fuses quite easily. Have you check everything electrical works?

I wouldn't be too concerned. Very possible it's a faulty oxygen sensor or something of that ilk. But, it would be wise to just get a local garage to check the engine ECU for fault codes.

Oh you guys are so supportive! Thank you! I filled with fuel this morning, very near my office. I will check that in the morning.

The reason I was so worried is because she has 150k miles on her and has not had the timing chain replaced. The mechanic that looks after my car says not to replace until 'I hear it, and I will'. I'm quite content with an old car as I no longer do many miles and both my cars are delightful.

Long distances are done in the modern 65 plate car.

Last edited:
In accordance with all your kind advice, I took my car to my normal garage this morning on the way to work. It does indeed seem to be something to do with an O2 sensor. Apparently, it had 29 messages including "misfire cylinder 5" and even "misfire cylinder 6"! All these have been cleared and we shall see if the light comes back on tonight. It has not as yet.

Misfire on cylinder 5 and 6 !! It think it should read "can't find cylinders 5 & 6 :D

Honda's quite often throw cel light and codes for o2 sensors. I would imagine you'll be fine to roll around in it no problem. My CRV is on 154,000 miles and doesn't miss a beat (although worn suspension bushes are now starting to get a bit knocky) :(

Yes indeed estate-agent! The light hasn't returned and my dear old bus performs beautifully. They made them to last, didn't they? I *could* buy a new car, but then I should have to say goodbye to her as my husband has a new 4x4 (we live in the country). But would the saving on fuel and car tax offset the increased insurance premium (currently pence over £150pa, comprehensive,protected no claims) and the car payments? I think not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom