Can you imagine this happening in the streets of London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I enjoy reading newspapers from different countries and these headlines caught my eye:

LAHORE, May 5: Mass arrests, road blockades and baton-charges and teargas shelling by police failed to stop lawyers, political activists and the general public from welcoming Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry in various cities during his journey in a motorcade to Lahore from Islamabad on Saturday at the invitation of the Lahore High Court Bar Association.

Police had first stopped the CJ’s motorcade of over 2,000 vehicles at the Gujranwala bypass with lawyers seeking to pass through the city and police asking them to bypass the town. After arguments lasting half an hour, lawyers started pelting policemen with stone at the main entrance and forced their way into the city where a large number of people were waiting for the chief justice.

A similar situation had earlier been witnessed at Wazirabad where police had to retreat after lawyers and political activists resorted to stone-throwing to break the blockade.

The CJ’s motorcade, which covered 240km up to Gujranwala in 14 hours, was welcomed warmly by large numbers of people at Gujjar Khan, Jhelum, Sarai Alamgir, Gujrat and Wazirabad.

The response was unprecedented considering that a large police force had been deployed on the GT Road and link roads. They had erected barricades at various points. There were reports of police demolishing opposition camps and blocking convoys of lawyers and political workers in different cities who either wanted to come to the GT Road or the venue of the LHCBA reception in Lahore.

The CJ (Chief Justice) has been in deep do do's for a number of weeks, there have been huge demonstrations over the government's treatmernt of this very senior person, but can you imagine our baaristers in their wigs, gowns etc protesting in a similar fashion. :) :)

I am NOT criticising this event, nor am I making ANY type of political statement, it is just something I think is very interesting and feel it strange that our newspaper headlines are more likely to be what type of haircut David Beckham may, or may not have. We criticise other countries for being insular, but we are becoming very similar?

:devil: If our legal profession started to behave like this I have visions of when the first injury occurs there will be a public address, "Have you been injured and it is not your fault?" :D :D Hundreds of lawyers all trying to sue each other ;) ;)

Sorry folks, medication is hopefully taking hold.
John the dreamer

Back in, I think it was 1968, when the anti-Vietnam war movement and protest were at their height, a big rally was planned in front of the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square.
On that day London was basically blocked off to all traffic. All vehicles containing what looked like potential protestors were stopped and turned back.
It turned out to be a large and at times violent rally. It woudl have been a much bigger and maybe more violent rally had such measures not been taken.

Back in, I think it was 1968, when the anti-Vietnam war movement and protest were at their height, a big rally was planned in front of the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square.
On that day London was basically blocked off to all traffic. All vehicles containing what looked like potential protestors were stopped and turned back.
It turned out to be a large and at times violent rally. It woudl have been a much bigger and maybe more violent rally had such measures not been taken.
:D I remember it well, I think I was at a US Marine base in Quantico. The thing I remember most of all is the so called 'students' that had razor blades on the end of large prodders which they used to slash the Police horses.

This particular demonstration I have highlighted was made by the legal profession :)

John

Only a matter of time before we see a mass uprising by Estate Agents as house prices level off... clashing against each other with placards (for sale boards) breaking each other's hair gel and scuffing their Ben Sherman shoes. You've been warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom