Can you repair a buckled alloy wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stayluckydave

Car
C220 CDI Sport Estate
Hi,

I have 19" Brabus VI replicas on my CLK w208 and I found out today that one of my front wheels has a buckle/dent :mad: !!!
I noticed that my tyre was looking flat so I took it in to be checked for a puncture and that's when they gave me the bad news :(.
I couldn't see the ding because it's on the inside face.

Surely it can be saved??? If anyone has any advice then I would be very greatful.
If it can't be fixed then does anyone know where to buy a replacement wheel? The wheels were on the car when I bought it so I'm not sure where to look.

Cheers

There are firms that repair them, with the damage on the inside this does allow for heat treatment if needed.
If it is just a buckle on the rim, this can be taken out cold to all intents and purposes, further more it does not have to be perfect on the inside

Dont get put off by tales that you cant, as you can. Firms that do this no how far they can go

Thanks Malcolm. Do you know who I can contact?
I've noticed that when I'm driving on the motorway the steering wheel shakes very slightly and I can feel it through my @rse too.
I've had my wheels balanced and alligned but it's still doing it...do you think the buckle is causing it to do this?

David

Buckled wheels or balancing is normally speed sensitive, that means that the shaking or vibration starts and stops at certain speeds

If a wheel is slightly bent then balancing can take it away, the next problem is that many firms do not know how to balance wheels.

Other things can cause this like prop shaft center bearing or engine mounts worn and drive train out of line.

You should not feel a front wheel problem through the seat, only the steering shaking at a certain speed

What do you think the vibration could be through the seat?

Prop shaft is the norm for that.

Going back to the wheel, it is not easy to buckle the inside of a wheel and mainly done on a pot hole, you cant drive fast enough when parking or getting caught on something

Get the center bearing checked out for free play and movement

Front wheels ot of balance = shaking steering wheel
Rear wheels out of balance = shaking @rse

plus as already mentioned, drive train probs. hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom