Can you retrofit Climatronic in an E320?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amwebby

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL500
My neighbour has just purchased a lovely E320 and it has everything he wanted apart from Climatronic, just having the standard air conditioning. He was told that retrofit is not possible but that can't be true, can it?

Everything is possible but this i think would involve major dissassembly of the car as the main heater box would have to be replaced.
I would,nt want to do it unless i removed the climatronic from the doner vehicle also.

Why does he want climatronic; is it particularly for the look of the display, or for particular functions?
If the former, one can normally swap the display & it will give full control of the existing functions. I have done this in my CL203.
To obtain all the functions of climatronic may involve a lot of work- depending on age of car; sun sensors, extra actuators, extra ducts, residual heat pump for engine etc- not really worth it.

It is for the functionality of Climatronic. His E320 is a 2008 model.

I guess this is an E320CDI then, the standard AC control unit already has the display on a 2008 car:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-cars/ba/cars/w211/en/in-depth/d13e23116.shtml

I wonder what functionality of the Thermotronic does he see important over those of the standard Thermatic. In my opinion the rear window air nozzles and the better sensors are the most important features.

The REST function might be another useful feature as it seems to have been dropped from the standard AC.

Thanks for that Diesel, looks like he's got the functionality he wants without realising it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom