Can you run an A160 Engine with the Tappet Cover Off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amliddle

I urgently need to resolve this question as it relates to a hearing that I am attending tomorrow:

Can you run an A160 engine (petrol) with the tappet cover off. Bear in mind that the sensor over the timing chain would be disconnected as would several breather hoses: Would the engine computer allow it to start?

I urgently need to resolve this question as it relates to a hearing that I am attending tomorrow:

Can you run an A160 engine (petrol) with the tappet cover off. Bear in mind that the sensor over the timing chain would be disconnected as would several breather hoses: Would the engine computer allow it to start?

It will not start without knowing where the camshaft is, even if it did start the oil would splash out and make an awful mess, just taking off the oil filler cap is bad enough

Thanks Malcolm,

I actually had a brainwave..... I unplugged the sensor for the timing chain and started the engine..... ran perfectly, so I am not sure what the hell that sensor does! Didn't even give me a warning light.

With the camshaft sensor disconnected the ECU will ignore it's input and rely soley on the crankshaft sensor for position.

You originally needed to know for a hearing.

Can you tell us anything about the case.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom