Can you tax a vehicle on short term Insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mun802

Car
ML 270, Porsche C4 Cab.
Hi,

Tax is about to run out on daughters Car which she no longer uses (has another), I've been running about in it as 3rd party insured through my own car insurance. Question is, can I tax it with one of those 28 day temp insurance policies?

Thanks.

Not sure of the answer to be honest, but watch the small print when driving on your own insurance.
They often state that you can drive other cars 3rd party with your policy, as long as the car is insured elsewhere. If it is not insured at all, you may be at risk.

Can't you just SORN it ?

I am pretty sure you can. As long as there is insurance in place at the time of VED renewal thats all that matters.
For many years my VED expired at the end of August and my insurance ran out on 4th September, so as far as the VED bods were concerned, I only had about 4 days insurance to run. I can remember one year I renewed the VED in the local Post Office on the day before the insurance was due to run out.
So I dont see why you should have a problem.

As long as the insurance covers you for the date of the TAX renewal then it should be accepted

mun802,you will find your not insured to drive it on your policy .
the car being driven has to have insurance on it for you to drive it 3rd party on your policy,otherwise we could insure a fiesta fully comp and drive a porsche on the same policy...

the car your driving must be insured by someone else for that part of your policy to be legal.

Aslong as the car in question has insurance at the time of taxing then yes you can tax it. Even if it is just one day or however many.

the car your driving must be insured by someone else for that part of your policy to be legal.
Yes and if you get pull, it is £200 and 6 points + the car being siezed so it can get very expensive. with all those anpr police cars around i will check the fine print before driving it again

You can tax it short term. I've done this on my audi - for 28 days at a time.

Use an independent broker - I use Harrington Miller - just google them.

Why tax it at all if you could only use it for the short time the insurance lasts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom