Canal Lock Safety. Children.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
Went for a chug down the Leeds Liverpool canal last Sunday with members from the Mercedes Benz Club and had Sunday Lunch on board a barge/motor vessel/pleasure cruiser. Good food and good company.

What crossed my mind though was. Do children of today get taught just how deep canal locks are and how to behave around them? As we dropped down through the system at "Top Locks" Whittle le Woods (ST 4 you have been there) It struck me how sheer the walls of the locks are and how greasy the ladders rungs are. Not a lot of chance of getting out of there if you are on your own.

Certainly our grandchildren have not yet been taught about them (very soon to be amended) through school or good grandparenting.

Went for a chug down the Leeds Liverpool canal last Sunday with members from the Mercedes Benz Club and had Sunday Lunch on board a barge/motor vessel/pleasure cruiser. Good food and good company.

What crossed my mind though was. Do children of today get taught just how deep canal locks are and how to behave around them? As we dropped down through the system at "Top Locks" Whittle le Woods (ST 4 you have been there) It struck me how sheer the walls of the locks are and how greasy the ladders rungs are. Not a lot of chance of getting out of there if you are on your own.

Certainly our grandchildren have not yet been taught about them (very soon to be amended) through school or good grandparenting.

Probably not IMO:wallbash: It's probably seen as a little less important than learning how to cross a road properly which as we all know is not seen as important at all nowadays.:doh: It's now seen to be more important to know how to get in touch with the "where there's blame there's a claim" merchants you know "No Win No Fee"

It wasn't little Johnnie's fault he was sauntering across the road with his hood up, earphones in, not looking before starting to cross, it was the nasty car's fault for being on the road! :rolleyes::rolleyes::wallbash:

Rant over

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom