Canary island merc taxis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSilverEstate

Car
2011 E350cdi Sport Estate, and the wife's car: 2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0tdi
Just been brought back to our holiday villa on Lanzarote in a lovely W211 E270cdi taxi with 475,000km on the clock. Driver said his old. W124 had done1,070,000km and there is a mercedes e class taxi on the island with over 2m km! Apparently rust is not an issue over here, so it is just the more vexatious electronics that let them down eventually. Driver much preferred the W124 as the current car was giving him trouble - engine light was lit throughout the journey...

I was only thinking of Canary Islands Taxi's the other day when recalling how the seats on the 124's were encapsulated in a clear vinyl-like membrane.
All the detail of the seat was visible, but protected. Even 30 years ago it was a very professional job and I can't think why this (to the best of my knowledge) isn't used in this country.

At the same time as recalling the seats I realised the speedo that showed we were travelling at 120 was in KPH. :doh: I asked the driver to slow down. :eek:

here's another one...

Mercedes-Benz E270 CDI taxi travels for over 1m km in Greece

mercedes-benz-e-class-greece-1m-km-3-600x382.jpg

There is a 124 estate in daily use as a taxi in Florence. Quite a few of them in Malta - even the odd 123 still working daily.

Very good engine the 2.7 CDi, it was the engine in my first Mercedes (and W211).

Astonishing mileages were commonplace for Mercedes taxis on the Greek island we went to for many years. They had an efficient (for Greece) system of shipping spare parts from Athens within 24 hours. Then after they joined the Euro and cheap money became available they all went out and bought themselves brand new E-Classes. With predictable results,,,

The economy went down the pan ?

Just been brought back to our holiday villa on Lanzarote in a lovely W211 E270cdi taxi with 475,000km on the clock. Driver said his old. W124 had done1,070,000km and there is a mercedes e class taxi on the island with over 2m km! Apparently rust is not an issue over here, so it is just the more vexatious electronics that let them down eventually. Driver much preferred the W124 as the current car was giving him trouble - engine light was lit throughout the journey...

I am currently on 529,000 km even with the rust threat:bannana::bannana:

Just wish I could give you a lift to your holiday villa.

I saw an E class W210 in Rhodes with 760k on the clock, it looked lovely but was absolutely hanging while he was driving it, i remember it was an auto and only 2 gears seemed to be working and the rear suspension/axle sounded like it was about to fall out.

Astonishing mileages were commonplace for Mercedes taxis on the Greek island we went to for many years. ,,,

Aaah, the Greek Islands - where old Mercs go to die

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom