Cancel your plans for next Wednesday, it could be your last day on Earth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
Large Hadron Collider will not turn world to goo by inventor of Internet.

He had deduced that it would be “quite plausible” to conclude that black holes resulting from the collider experiment “will grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside” across a devastating four-year period of decay.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4682260.ece

If scientists have misunderstood the physics there's a risk of creating a black hole

Last edited:
It's being switched on Wednesday but wont at full power until December. Lotsa shake-down trials first.

Merry Christmas :D

But surely if it creates a black hole that keeps on expanding, then even if its a tiny one that is bad news - I.e it doesnt mattter if they make a small one on Wednesday or a big one on full power in December

I guess at least if they do create an ever expanding black hole
a) they will be the first to go
b) it wont hurt
c) we wont be leaving family without us or vice-versa

Richard

b) it wont hurt
Richard

Ever been diving? The pressure at 40 meters is enough to compress your suit (and genitalia) into oblivion... now immagine compressing that to the point where even light cannot escape...

Sounds painful to me!

That said, I'm quite pro the experiement! If humanity were to stop doing things out of fear of what may happen, we would never have gone over 30 mph...

M.

Ever been diving? The pressure at 40 meters is enough to compress your suit (and genitalia) into oblivion... now immagine compressing that to the point where even light cannot escape...

Sounds painful to me!

That said, I'm quite pro the experiement! If humanity were to stop doing things out of fear of what may happen, we would never have gone over 30 mph...

M.

Not only that, it -245 degrees.

It's certainly an alternative solution to the credit crunch......

Maybe if we all club together we can send Dragon there to see it close up

Large Hadron Collider will not turn world to goo by inventor of Internet.

He had deduced that it would be “quite plausible” to conclude that black holes resulting from the collider experiment “will grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside” across a devastating four-year period of decay.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4682260.ece

If scientists have misunderstood the physics there's a risk of creating a black hole

Maybe you would like to go investigate on behalf of the forum? :devil:

Imadoofus - Great minds and all that :)

Last edited:
Great, right now I'm sick to my back teeth of work,credit crunch,house price predictions, state schools, NHS, everything, so a nice little black hole to swallow it all up suits me just fine.

Great, right now I'm sick to my back teeth of work,credit crunch,house price predictions, state schools, NHS, everything, so a nice little black hole to swallow it all up suits me just fine.

We got one of those already - that swallows up tax payers money at an unbeleivable rate, and uses so much of it maintaining the black hole theres none left for helping those who need it now.

Look on the bright side: the French will be the first to go.

dont worry, its runs on Vista so it will never do what it promised

But surely if it creates a black hole that keeps on expanding, then even if its a tiny one that is bad news - I.e it doesnt mattter if they make a small one on Wednesday or a big one on full power in December

I guess at least if they do create an ever expanding black hole
a) they will be the first to go
b) it wont hurt
c) we wont be leaving family without us or vice-versa

Richard

To create even the tiniest black hole it will need to be running at full power. It will take ages to ramp up the power to accelerate those particles to within 0.99999 the speed of light.

Black holes don't expand (significantly) they just consume all matter surrounding them. As their mass increases so does their gravity and the field of influence.

A neat possible side effect would be the oscillating black hole that whips back and forth through the earth, could negate a) above...

I don't think one would die from being crushed. One would die from being stretched to the event horizon, then crushed! :D

Probably best to keep the windows closed then.

Dave!

Maybe you would like to go investigate on behalf of the forum? :devil:

Imadoofus - Great minds and all that :)

Irritant is not only getting irritant, he is a coward. :devil:

Didn't I read somewhere the size of the black holes out there somewhere in the galaxy are pin heads.

Black holes are "sized" by reference to their mass and the diameter of the event horizon.

At the centre of a black hole is the gravitational singularity, a point source that has no dimension, therefore no volume...

Now now children - Behave, no personal vendettas to go with the Black Hole eh.:eek:

Or this thread will end up in one.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom