Cancelled holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After reading about some of you getting e mails from HMRC I went into my tax account to check they had a current e mail address for me. Might be worthwhile for others to check their own?

We seen this week that Fedex are now only doing "priority" deliveries for medical or things directly related to Covid-19.

Had a delivery due on Wednesday that just sat at Stansted, a letter from us (electronic assembly company) not sufficient to get them to make the package a priority, we had to get the medical company we do the work for to send a letter to them direct.
Package has now moved and is showing for delivery on Monday.

I'm not sure if they are still doing the "other" deliveries too or just making a point of doing the priority ones first.

We seen this week that Fedex are now only doing "priority" deliveries for medical or things directly related to Covid-19.

Had a delivery due on Wednesday that just sat at Stansted, a letter from us (electronic assembly company) not sufficient to get them to make the package a priority, we had to get the medical company we do the work for to send a letter to them direct.
Package has now moved and is showing for delivery on Monday.

I'm not sure if they are still doing the "other" deliveries too or just making a point of doing the priority ones first.
We had no end of issues with FedEx deliveries last week (in the London area anyway). They seem to have gone into meltdown, and also their online tracking system wasn't working for a couple of days.

We had no such issues with other couriers. Seems that some manage betters than others.

Quelle Surprise Part Trois; innocent children are dying because of the Coronavirus panic - Sick kids hospital treatment 'hit' during pandemic
Shocking report about the children Lee ( for which I felt unable to "like" your post). Parents with really sick kids should still dial 999 . Very annoyed to see that some parents are bringing their kids to Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, and no doubt other areas, for an Easter Break , WTF!

Shocking report about the children Lee ( for which I felt unable to "like" your post). Parents with really sick kids should still dial 999
I knew things like this would happen but people prefer to preserve their own lives for a little while longer than think of the young.
Very annoyed to see that some parents are bringing their kids to Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, and no doubt other areas, for an Easter Break, WTF!
With the above news item in mind - and I understand it’ll stoke the fire - but I’m starting to come to a similar conclusion to be honest pal; I’ve not left the house for 5 of the last 7 days and when I have left all I’ve seen are pensioners roaming the streets and queuing outside supermarkets.

Why should we suffer when the people we’re meant to be protecting are treating it so lightly?

The problem is, a lot of the pensioners may not be computer-literate, and missed out on the delivery slot grab organised by the bog roll hoarders. They may not drive, so may need to make frequent journeys to the supermarket to get what they can carry home.

The government does have lists of the vulnerable registered with them, and has shared their email addresses with the supermarkets - but that doesn't help if your email address is not already registered with the supermarket. They only pick out those names they recognise.

Just being a pensioner doesn't automatically get you on any registers.

I went to Morrisons yesterday , not many pensioners in the queue , a couple of women with children and a larger percentage than usual of male shoppers , hopefully doing the shopping for their families. I get my mums shopping (she is 93 and has Alzheimers but is being a good girl and not going out) and have offered to get shopping for several of our elderly neighbours as I am just a youngster at 67.
As Dippo mentioned there are many oldsters that have neither cars or internet , and I have not seen any of them breaking the 2 metre guidelines. On the other hand , a couple of the twenty/thirty somethings that I work with have needed reminding to keep their distance. As has been seen , there is no age group that is immune .

I knew things like this would happen but people prefer to preserve their own lives for a little while longer than think of the young.

With the above news item in mind - and I understand it’ll stoke the fire - but I’m starting to come to a similar conclusion to be honest pal; I’ve not left the house for 5 of the last 7 days and when I have left all I’ve seen are pensioners roaming the streets and queuing outside supermarkets.

Why should we suffer when the people we’re meant to be protecting are treating it so lightly?
Fire duly stoked.

Well I’ve not left the house for 7 of the last 8 days. On the day I did leave, yesterday, I was one of those pensioners queuing outside a supermarket. Contrary to popular belief, we oldies do still have to eat.

“But you have a much younger wife, why didn’t she go to save putting you at risk?” I hear you ask. I’ve always done the cooking at home so I’ve always done the food shopping. I know where everything is in Tesco so I can be in and out in half the time, and I can decide what to get when what I want isn't there. So if my wife went the greater time she’s away from home the greater chance of her catching the virus - then passing it on to me when she gets home.

“So why not order online?” you challenge. Because there are no bloody slots available on any of the days they have listed and I haven’t been granted any priority.

I doubt that there are many, if any, pensioners queuing outside supermarkets from choice. We’re all doing it through necessity and not because we’re treating this lightly and not because we’re expecting you to suffer for us. We’re suffering every bit as much. We’re possibly even more angry and upset when we look out of the window we’ve been looking out of all week and see younger folk happily wandering by without an apparent care.

Fire duly stoked.

Well I’ve not left the house for 7 of the last 8 days. On the day I did leave, yesterday, I was one of those pensioners queuing outside a supermarket. Contrary to popular belief, we oldies do still have to eat.

“But you have a much younger wife, why didn’t she go to save putting you at risk?” I hear you ask. I’ve always done the cooking at home so I’ve always done the food shopping. I know where everything is in Tesco so I can be in and out in half the time, and I can decide what to get when what I want isn't there. So if my wife went the greater time she’s away from home the greater chance of her catching the virus - then passing it on to me when she gets home.

“So why not order online?” you challenge. Because there are no bloody slots available on any of the days they have listed and I haven’t been granted any priority.

I doubt that there are many, if any, pensioners queuing outside supermarkets from choice. We’re all doing it through necessity and not because we’re treating this lightly and not because we’re expecting you to suffer for us. We’re suffering every bit as much. We’re possibly even more angry and upset when we look out of the window we’ve been looking out of all week and see younger folk happily wandering by without an apparent care.
You’re in the high risk category yet you’ve gone to the supermarket when your wife (who’s at much lower risk) could have gone - the same wife that’s going out on 10k runs - yet young folk should abide by the rules that you, in your own household, are bending?

Up to press I’m doing the shopping for two OAPs (around your age) on my road, because they’re petrified of catching this virus, yet the sheer percentage of OAPs I see *out and about* is unbelievable when they’re so high risk. It’s frustrating.

You’re in the high risk category yet you’ve gone to the supermarket when your wife (who’s at much lower risk) could have gone - the same wife that’s going out on 10k runs - yet young folk should abide by the rules that you, in your own household, are bending?

Surely it makes no odds who goes shopping if they’re living together? If his wife goes shopping and picks up the virus she’ll come home and pass it into him anyway. What’s the difference?

It’s also wrong to assume that all OAP’s have helpful neighbours/friends/family (such as you) who bring food to their door. Some people simply have no choice but to go themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely it makes no odds who goes shopping if they’re living together?
Wouldn’t that depend on the age or vulnerability of the shopper?

OAP or non-OAP in the same household going shopping? A no-brainer.

Wouldn’t that depend on the age or vulnerability of the shopper?

OAP or non-OAP in the same household going shopping? A no-brainer.

I assume if you walk into a carriers cough/sneeze or touch a contaminated surface (then transfer it to your face area) you’ll pick it up regardless of your age or health status.

I assume if you walk into a carriers cough/sneeze or touch a contaminated surface (then transfer it to your face area) you’ll pick it up regardless of your age or health status.
But you must admit though that as an OAP you’ve got more chance than catching Covid19 than your younger wife has.

But you must admit though that as an OAP you’ve got more chance than catching Covid19 than your younger wife has.

I’ve been led to believe that any person of any age or state of health have the same risk of contracting the virus. But for those of a certain age or/and with existing medical issues it can be more threatening to life.

An example being care homes. Most of the guests there not left the premises. The virus has been brought in by the staff, visitors, maintenance, deliveries etc. Look at the fatalities there. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
But for those of a certain age or/and with existing medical issues it can be more threatening to life.
So why run the risk? Let your younger wife do the shopping.

The fact that you know the shop better than her doesn’t really cut any ice does it? It takes about 30 seconds to suss out the layout of a supermarket. Ain’t exactly science of the rocket is it!:wallbash:

[QUOTE="SPX, post: 2881643, member:yet the sheer percentage of OAPs I see *out and about* is unbelievable when they’re so high risk. It’s frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Not according to some members here it’s not! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom