Cancelling a new car order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pacamack

Car
C250 CDI AMG Sport Plus Coupe
Hi All,

I placed an order for a car last week that is scheduled for delivery at the beginning of August. The car was already in production so is not to my spec but it meant that I could get it a couple of months earlier. However, I've been thinking that I might just as well wait an extra couple of months and get a car to my exact spec.

I've signed the paperwork and paid a deposit. If I cancel the order but order another one at the same time is there likely to be a problem?

Cheers,

Mack

I would ask the dealer pretty quickly.

If going for another car from them, you might be OK, if not...

Hi All,

I placed an order for a car last week that is scheduled for delivery at the beginning of August. The car was already in production so is not to my spec but it meant that I could get it a couple of months earlier. However, I've been thinking that I might just as well wait an extra couple of months and get a car to my exact spec.

I've signed the paperwork and paid a deposit. If I cancel the order but order another one at the same time is there likely to be a problem?

Cheers,

Mack

hi there its down to the discretion of the dealer i did the exact same at audi prior - they did kick up a fuss initially and told me i would lose my deposit but after my persistence as legally there was nothing in the small print about loss of deposit they after a week of emails and calls, they gave in and refunded my deposit - in the interim to save time i had placed a new deposit on the order change to save waiting time.

Inform them as quickly as you can though as they may have a buyer waiting on the spec order that you didn't want helping the transition easier for them

Does the 30 day refund guarantee you get with regular products (say a TV) not apply when buying new cars?

Last edited:
The paperwork talks about handing the car back if you change your mind once it's been delivered, but nothing really about about cancelling the order whilst it's being built.

To be honest if it's going to be a hassle then I won't bother as the only thing I'm really fretting about is that the car on order doesn't have the media interface. Other than that it's pretty close to the spec I would have chosen

If the issue is over the spec for the car. I'm sure the dealer will be more reasonable over that issue. Rather than you wanting to simply cancelling the purchase.

Ask to see if the things you would like can be added before the car has completed its production run.

Ask to see if the things you would like can be added before the car has completed its production run.

Once production has started nothing can be changed, but the dealer could add it at PDI stage.

I've already asked about the media interface but the dealer has said it can't be done.

The paperwork talks about handing the car back if you change your mind once it's been delivered, but nothing really about about cancelling the order whilst it's being built.

To be honest if it's going to be a hassle then I won't bother as the only thing I'm really fretting about is that the car on order doesn't have the media interface. Other than that it's pretty close to the spec I would have chosen

if the spec is something you will be happy with then yes keep as is but remember its your invest at the end of the day that your committed to and its alot of money so if its something that will bug you when you receive the car then change. As you pointed out and as i found out there's nothing in writing about cancelling during after order made. This is exactly where i made my change with audi. Was an extra week hassle but was piece of mind for the years i had the car -and you cant put a price on that!

all the best!

If Comandonline can fit a media interface, why can't the dealer? Just get the car then take it to Comandonline for them to fit it - they're not a million miles from you.

I had thought of that, but how does that sit with the warranty?

Does the 30 day refund guarantee you get with regular products (say a TV) not apply when buying new cars?

What on earth are you thinking of there? There's no such thing as a 30 day refund guarantee on anything.

The paperwork talks about handing the car back if you change your mind once it's been delivered,

Really - why would they willingly allow that? That sounds like a distance selling thing.

If it does say that though, then it's obviously got to be better all round to cancel now rather than register and use the vehicle.

Really - why would they willingly allow that? That sounds like a distance selling thing.

If it does say that though, then it's obviously got to be better all round to cancel now rather than register and use the vehicle.

Most manufacturers offer 30 days / 1,000 mile change your mind policy. I'd be tempted to use this to persuade the dealer to think again about it can't be done...

What on earth are you thinking of there? There's no such thing as a 30 day refund guarantee on anything.

I shouldn't have used the word guarantee, but I mean when you buy something, you normally get a time where you can drop it back off no questions asked provided it's in as new condition still.

I'd ring Comand-online on Monday and get a quote for fitting the Media Interface.

You'd be paying extra either way so whats the problem?

You are in a contract with the dealer now, but if you buy another car from them it should be ok with the deposit....unless there *********, i lost £600 when i ordered a Subaru P1 before they were available, new business come up and had no choice. :wallbash:

What car did you order? The standard audio 20 single cd doesnt support media interface. You need to have at least audio 20 with 6 disc changer and that comes with media interface anyway in most if not all models.

Doesnt mean you cant have media interface fitted though, it can be done but you will also need to upgrade the headunit too.

Last edited:
Most manufacturers offer 30 days / 1,000 mile change your mind policy. I'd be tempted to use this to persuade the dealer to think again about it can't be done...

Only on approved used, and it's a swap to another car, not your money back.

It would be an utter nightmare for manufacturers if they had to offer one month money back trials of new cars.

I shouldn't have used the word guarantee, but I mean when you buy something, you normally get a time where you can drop it back off no questions asked provided it's in as new condition still.

News to me. Retailers like Argos do it, but only because you don't get a chance to inspect items in the shop. But it's by no means "normal".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom