Cancelling Order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TripleD

Car
C300h loaner as my C250d broke after only 900 miles :(
Visited my local dealership yesterday to sign the finance documents on my new car. After thinking about the whole process today, I'm contemplating cancelling my order!

I think buying a new car should be an experience, and a good experience at that. Or maybe it's just the little things that niggle and give you an insight as to how the dealer sees you.

When I first visited the showroom spoke to salesman, took test drive, discussed numbers but made it clear I had not seen all the cars on my list to see, so we were working on ballpark figures. Got offered drinks, but declined.
Second visit, during the 1st visit I test drove a C220 Estate, but wanted to try the C250, they only had a C250 Saloon, but it was the engine and pickup I was interested in, so test drove that. Got offered drinks we accepted, nice coffee ;)
Was happy with the car, negotiated. Handed across paperwork that was printed out, no Merc Documents wallets as they apparent had run out. Salesman said he would contact me in a week to arrange for the finance documents to be signed.

Fine so far!

Got a call from Salesman earlier this week, finance docs ready to sign when can I come in. Arranged an 'appointment' at 11am Thursday.
I had been researching and wanting to order a Hatchbag before the car arrives, so explained this to the Salesman said I needed to know some information on the boot shape before I could do this. He said car would be available Thursday to view as it was in. He advised this was his day off, but I would be seeing the finance manager anyway.

This is were things start to turn!

Turned up Thursday just before 11, ladies at front desk were seeing to customers, more than happy to wait, a gentleman approaches me wearing shirt and trousers and Merc name badge, but not a sales/service person asked if he could assist, I said I have an appointment with 'George' at 11, he walked over to the service desk and gestured me to follow, I was there to sign service docs, maybe I hadn't made that clear, advised the gentleman of this (mistakes happen .. still happy). He took me over to an empty desk to take a seat.
This is were it starts to decline.
He walks into the finance managers office to obviously say I was here, came out, walked passed me, smiled, and there I sat for 5+ minutes while waiting for finance manager. No offer of coffee, refreshments or anything.
Eventually had someone come see me who looked like a salesman, said they were taking me through the documents, I asked about the car, and being able to see it, he said he would find out while I reviewed the master pcp agreement, left me while I read through.
Came back asked if I had any questions ... Oh yes I did, because of the 'servicing' clause, asked why I had to have the car serviced by MB approved network (main dealers) his response was 'Because it invalidates the warranty if you have it serviced outside of MB'
This instantly got my back up from being lied to, if a car is serviced with genuine MB parts, they cannot invalidate the warranty. Also quoted the European Block Exemption Regulations at him, he re-read the statement on the paperwork as then said, "well it doesn't say you can't service it elsewhere". Now unhappy with an uneducated muppett spouting lies, I asked to speak with the finance manager who I actually had the appointment with.

Now been at MB for 40 mins .... still no offer of drink or anything.

After a further wait, finance manager came out, I explained this again, also explained that MB servicing costs compared to competitors was exceedingly high, therefore I have a right to inquire on this statement.

Now the finance manager in himself during the whole conversation could not look me in the eye, he was looking everywhere else by at me. I think this in itself is shady. When I deal with customer I look at them and make sure they have my focus when I am talking to them or listening. It's surely a basic principal!

Finance Manager suggested that MB is more expensive then the competition therefore the service costs were higher ... we'll come back to this.
secondly if it's not got full MB service history the cars value is less at the end of the pcp term. showed me the grid saying without MB service it's £900 *fine* over 3 years if the car is handed back. Suggests if I don't plan to hand the car back or look at trade in that this is then not relevant.

So MB more expensive I suggested otherwise, quoted similar speced 3 series price and Audi A4 price which I obtained, along with service pack costs for both.
Asked what Mercedes do above a £500 BMW pack and a £450 Audi pack that makes it worth £1650, to which there was no answer, I asked what else they changed except oil, filters, brake fluid (you can see I'm getting rather annoyed, they have p**sed me off). Again no answer suggested the 'experience' with MB was better, and that was the cost.

I explained further that the reason I'm not keen on this clause was because of a bad experience with a main dealer, therefore I would not wish to use that dealer in future said this was not MB, and that I have not got any views on this garage, but such a clause concerns me.
He said they are all about the experience (note still no offer of a drink), and that they look after their customers (look at table no drink). Eventually agreed to sign the document under the 14 day cancellation rule while I thought it through more.

Asked again about seeing car, apparently 'its in the compound' and that he would get someone to take photo's and send them to me via email that afternoon.

No Email to date.

Left dealership after 1hr 15 mins with no refreshments, and visited costa!

Emailed my sales person last night ... asked for photo's.

No Email to date.

It now very much seems like now they have my money they could not careless! That is my current impression, and if this is how the dealer is, I'm not impressed, and going so far as considering cancelling my order.

Think I might also make some contact with MB UK to stir up some poo, as to me, as a customer ordering a new car to be delivered on the 1st, my experience to date is rather tainted.

The dealership in question is Mercedes Benz - Lancaster of Ipswich.

Am I wrong to feel like this?

The fact your even writing this thread tells me walk away .
Buying a car should feel good not riddled with niggling doubts

Ah... You're in Suffolk. Take it from me (I got my MB in Suffolk as well), have a drive to Norwich and see James at Robinsons MB... aka JBD on this forum.

Am I wrong to feel like this?
I don't think the root of the problem is the dealer, although their "performance" has probably added fuel to the fire.

Based on your earlier post about service costs, and the fact that you've raised it again, it seems to me that this is the real deal breaker.

Bottom line is that you think Mercedes-Benz Main Dealer service prices are a rip-off. That's fine, many people do. However, with a PCP you are merely renting the car, and on that basis it's perfectly reasonable for the owner (the finance company) to specify who they want to service their car, not you. If you don't like the deal, don't do it. If you like the car and want to drive it away, there are other options to fund the purchase which would allow you - as the owner of the vehicle - to decide who services it, or indeed not to bother servicing it at all if that floats your boat.

Banging your head against the Daimler UK Finance Company's T's & C's is only going to end up with one outcome, and it won't be the one you wish for.

I don't think the root of the problem is the dealer, although their "performance" has probably added fuel to the fire.

Based on your earlier post about service costs, and the fact that you've raised it again, it seems to me that this is the real deal breaker.

Bottom line is that you think Mercedes-Benz Main Dealer service prices are a rip-off. That's fine, many people do. However, with a PCP you are merely renting the car, and on that basis it's perfectly reasonable for the owner (the finance company) to specify who they want to service their car, not you. If you don't like the deal, don't do it. If you like the car and want to drive it away, there are other options to fund the purchase which would allow you - as the owner of the vehicle - to decide who services it, or indeed not to bother servicing it at all if that floats your boat.

Banging your head against the Daimler UK Finance Company's T's & C's is only going to end up with one outcome, and it won't be the one you wish for.

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker, I do think it's higher than it really needs to be for no justifiable reason, but speaking to people on here gave me an insight, and I wanted to specifically question that particular clause in respect of the Block Exemption Rule that is in place to stop such an act.

I don't agree about your 'renting' statement. PCP is a form of loan, if I was renting the car this would be a form of lease as I would never actually own the car.
PCP the car is in your name, the loan is secured against the car. Much like a mortgage, I don't say I'm 'renting' just because the bank secures the funds against the house. Mortgages have such protections as 'must have insurance' in place, but they can't say you must have our insurance otherwise you won't get a mortgage.

This rant comes a lot down to customer service, and how you are treated. I could buy from MB Norfolk, or MB Bury St Edmunds, but then servicing with a round trip to each of them plus and warranty issues would become unmanageable.

My understanding is as far as PCP/HP goes, until the full purchase price is paid the vehicle belongs to the finance company, they call the shots regarding servicing/modifications..

My understanding is as far as PCP/HP goes, until the full purchase price is paid the vehicle belongs to the finance company, they call the shots regarding servicing/modifications..

I apologize and stand corrected: PCP finance explained: Where to get the best deals – MSE

You could in principle use finance from another provider - in which case servicing would come under the block exemption.

The MB service costs are IMO simply a pricing invention to extract money from owners - but there are plenty of people who pay up and some even seem to think it's good value :)eek:). The sale of cars via PCP and leasing allows them to maintain this artificial situation - it should really be addressed by extending the scope of the block exemption.

The BMW 5 year / 60K plans are rather more fairly priced - and the 7 series used to (may still) have the service plan included and they would discount (negatively priced option) if you didn't take it.

PCP the car is in your name, the loan is secured against the car. Much like a mortgage, I don't say I'm 'renting' just because the bank secures the funds against the house. Mortgages have such protections as 'must have insurance' in place, but they can't say you must have our insurance otherwise you won't get a mortgage.
I could give a trite response and say "you'll see who owns the car if you stop making the PCP payments", but it deserves a better explanation.

If you look at the PCP Contract it includes a charge which is titled the "Option to Purchase Fee". This is payable by you at any time if you wish to exercise your option to buy the car. In other words, your ownership is conditional upon you not just repaying the debt to the Finance provider, but also the Option to Purchase Fee. If you don't pay the Option to Purchase Fee (normally at the end of the term if you wish to keep the car), then ownership remains with the Finance provider as they never ceded ownership to you in the first place. This is different to a mortgage which is a rather special kind of long-term secured loan against a fixed asset, and hence my slightly tongue-in-cheek remark about renting the car. A PCP is really a special form of rental contract that includes an enshrined option to purchase at a fixed price in the future.

BTW, most Mortgage contracts require you to "keep the property in good repair at all times" as well as insure it, and the insurance normally has to include the mortgage provider as the first charge. You're correct that the mortgage provider cannot stipulate who provides the insurance, but they can and do specify what risks it must cover, and to what value.

The sale of cars via PCP and leasing allows them to maintain this artificial situation
I completely agree.

PCP deals are popular with the retail automotive sector not "because it allows the consumer to get into a car they otherwise couldn't" (I've lost count how many times I've heard that justification :rolleyes: ), but because it's a great revenue stream that also allows them to legally tie their customer to servicing within their franchised network which they would otherwise be unable to do.

I think you should Cancell & try another dealer. When I was looking to by my MB I went to my local dealer & just casual you know. Trainers,jeans & T-shirt. Walking in & the sales man said hi then looked me up & down with a kind of look that suggested I wasn't buying a car but wasting his time. I turned around & walked away. He shouts can I help you, I turned & looked at him, looked him up & down & said no not really. Walked out & got in my car & went to another dealer about 10 miles away. Now totally different attitude here. Walked in & lady on the desk by the door says hello sir are OK is there anything I can help you with. I instantly felt this was a better place. Asked about buying a used car, she say yes sir no problems I'll get the sales manager for you now, take a seat please. Literally sat down & this mountain of a man walks over & says hello sir can I help you. Went through everything I was looking for & then went out to look at what was in stock. He showed me around various cars, all open already. Offers tea or coffee to which I say no thanks. Left the place with his card & a week later went back & bought one.

I don't think it's the place but more the attitudes or characters of the people.

I could give a trite response and say "you'll see who owns the car if you stop making the PCP payments", but it deserves a better explanation.

A trite response would have been deserved. My understanding was a little off.

I think you should Cancell & try another dealer. When I was looking to by my MB I went to my local dealer & just casual you know. Trainers,jeans & T-shirt. Walking in & the sales man said hi then looked me up & down with a kind of look that suggested I wasn't buying a car but wasting his time. I turned around & walked away. He shouts can I help you, I turned & looked at him, looked him up & down & said no not really. Walked out & got in my car & went to another dealer about 10 miles away. Now totally different attitude here. Walked in & lady on the desk by the door says hello sir are OK is there anything I can help you with. I instantly felt this was a better place. Asked about buying a used car, she say yes sir no problems I'll get the sales manager for you now, take a seat please. Literally sat down & this mountain of a man walks over & says hello sir can I help you. Went through everything I was looking for & then went out to look at what was in stock. He showed me around various cars, all open already. Offers tea or coffee to which I say no thanks. Left the place with his card & a week later went back & bought one.

I don't think it's the place but more the attitudes or characters of the people.

Sounds quite like myself, I don't dress up, I'm a jeans and trainers sort of person too, but for some reason that day I decided to put on my better jeans, top and boots.

The missus just got home and has suggested I phone the Salesman tomorrow, and explain my displeasure as although he's not answered 1 email, he has been quite good during the other visits and as she said 'technology and emails are not perfect and in some cases things are not delivered'.

Regarding the servicing costs as mentioned above it's a pointless argument that will just end up in my chasing my own tail and drinking a large bottle of whiskey to drown my sorrows. If I can't accept it, I shouldn't drive the car.
On that topic having just had a phone call for my BMW, first question, has it got full BMW service history!

You could in principle use finance from another provider - in which case servicing would come under the block exemption.

That depends on what it says in that providers T's & C's!

Re ownership: Bought a new VW last year and took the PCP as there was a massive discount. The salesman, who was generally pretty good, had worked at two different Mercedes dealers and yet he insisted that I was the owner of the car. When I pointed to the bit that says something like "you don't own it until you make the final payment" he said "well, the V5 is in your name"!

I'm intrigued by the OPs multiple references to being offered coffee. I've seen this comment before, as if it was some sort of magical symbol. Is it really that significant? If I wanted a coffee I'd ask for one.

It says somewhere that V5 is not proof of ownership though doesn't it.

Mark

I'm intrigued by the OPs multiple references to being offered coffee. I've seen this comment before, as if it was some sort of magical symbol. Is it really that significant? If I wanted a coffee I'd ask for one.

I did ask and pay at costa after :thumb:

Not a magical symbol, but would be good customer service to at least offer.

img082.jpg

I'm always a little confused when people cancel their order due to the bad experience from a dealer. Rightly so a good feeling is all part of the buying process but surely the end result i.e. A spanking new motor that is more important. After delivery you will love your new car for a long time regardless of what the buying experience was like.

I alway feel like cancelling is denying yourself of the end result. It's like not building your dream house because of the stress during building. Or not marrying your dream girl/boy because of the stress of the wedding. Strange comparisons I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom