Cancelling vodafone contract

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
I want to cancel my current vodafone contract. But when i phoned them up to do so i was told i couldnt do it over the phone:confused: When i said, OK then il just nip into town and do it at the vodafone shop i was told i couldnt do that either and would have to write a letter to the head office stating that i wanted to cancel and give a reason why:confused: :mad:

Surly this cant be right or legal can it??

Stu

Usually you do have to give written conformation that you wish to end your contract, and then it's from the date they receive the letter, one more month of billing. Or when you specified, usually at least one months notice.

Are you looking to cancel before the contract legally expires? If so then most definitley they will want it in writing and the full reasons why to determine whether or not you should be released from the contract. Unless there is a very good reason which shows Vodafone have failed to deliver some or all of their commitment under the contract then don't expect to get released for free. Expect a bit of a battle and make sure you keep records of all calls etc - you might just need them.

However, if your contract has run its term then I don't see why they need reasons at all. I would also have thought that they would be able to take the intruction via one of their shops. Don't just cancel your Direct Debit though as that does not cancel the contract. Do that after you have written to them - or done what you need to do.

hth

Done the same thing recently with vodafone and cancelled via e-mail. I dont have the e-mail address with me at the mo though :( but just ask customer services for it.

I thought (but I may be wrong) that they could only insist that you cancelled in the same way as you took out the contract.
So if you set it by phone, or online, then you could cancel in the same way.

I've always had to cancel in writing when cancelling a contract, and I've always gone instore to set one up. I'm sure it mentions this in the policy details somewhere?!

I thought cancellation in writing was the done thing - always have with all operators. In fact I would expect to cancel any other type of contract in writing, and a mobile phone contract is no different IMHO.

Fax them and keep the fax confirmation or email and keep the delivery and read receipts. Retentions/cancellations dept have a little gremlin that goes round deleting cancellation requests for fun :rolleyes:

Writing is pretty much standard and will be in the t&c's somewhere

they can always deny that they received your letter so try registered mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom