Canon 100-400mm lens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chas

Car
Mercedes GLE 300D 4Matic AMG line
Just wondering if anyone has a Canon 100-400mm lens. I am thinking of buying one for bird photography on my Canon 50D.

Cue inevitable jokes about 'bird' photography...

I don't have one but was lucky enough to borrow a mate's Canon 400 Zoom lens with image stabiliser a couple of years ago for taking action shots at my cricket club. It was fabulous and if I could have justified the outlay for a (very) occasional hobby I would have gone out and bought one in an instant. I only have a humble 350D and the quality of the photographs was astonishing.

Just wondering if anyone has a Canon 100-400mm lens. I am thinking of buying one for bird photography on my Canon 50D.

Yep - I have a 100-400L - Its a brilliant lens :) There are those that will say a 400 Prime is better in terms of absolute quality - but the reality is that most will not be able to tell the difference - and there is no substitute for the flexibility of a zoom lens.

Each example of the lens will vary slightly - some are a tad soft at the extremes but again, you quickly adjust to that and it is marginal.

Also, the Push-Pull Zoom is criticised by some - they comment about the amount of dirt it sucks in ........... Well I have operated in dusty airfields all over the world - along with various desert areas in the US ..... no issues with dust in mine :)

It is a high quality piece of glass like all L Lens. Get it and enjoy it - you wont look back :)

Cheers Bryan, £1100 seems to be the cheapest

Although I dont have one it sits with a 70-200 F4IS as high on my hit list.
I now have a couple of Canon L zooms and a nice collection of primes. The big problem with L glass is that its addictive :)

The only lens I want now that doesn't have a red ring is the Sigma 12-24

Im looking to upgrade to the 24-70mm f2.8 L for my 50D and waiting for the new 70-200mm f2.8 II L to come out too. Currently using a 50mm f1.4 USM which has excellent bokeh and its very sharp too but really need a zoom!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom