Can't access MB Club from home - DNS problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Since last Friday I've not been able to access the Forum at home - every other website I can think of is fine. We were away for the weekend so it was only yesterday I realised this was only affecting me (since I couldn't find any mention of host server problems etc. here).

I'm guessing this is a DNS issue (which is the most likely of the help options IE comes up with). I have been using the primary and secondary DNS addresses given by my ISP (Demon) for 18+ months without any problems so far.

So ... any advice/suggestions?

TIA :)

Thanks for the link, but I've not made any recent changes to my system (nothing installed/removed/repaired in months) ??

I was wondering if I could just change the DNS addresses to other servers?

This always happens and I have never made any changes, beyond IE updates, which may be the cause of the problem.

Have you made changes to your hosts file? (or has some nasty software done it)

Have you also tried to flush your local dns?

1... Run cmd.exe (if on vista run it with administrator priviliges)
2... type ipconfig /flushdns

If that is not working then reboot your router and if that does not work then it's an ISP problem - tell Demon to flush their DNS systems.

Many thanks for the advice guys.

Nothing changed on my system between Thursday (when it was fine) and Friday (when it wasn't). No dodgy software AFAIK (firewall, Norton, weekly full scan, don't use Outlook). This is XP Pro, btw.

I will have a play tonight.

if using a router, you can just set the dns settings to the router IP address, as the router gets the DNS setting. so basically your gateway and first DNS are the same

Last edited:
if using a router, you can just set the dns settings to the router IP address, as the router gets the DNS setting. so basically your gateway and first DNS are the same
And the chances are that the router is acting as the DHCP server so local DNS (on your machine) is not something you should need to worry about.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I've transferred your suggestions to my Yahoo account (so I can still see them when I get home!) and will have a go tonight.

Well ... I'm here :)

Simple things first, powered off the router for 5 mins - and that did the trick.

Thanks all.

Never occurred to me that could fix a problem with just a single site being inaccessible - you live and learn :)

Probably cleared the routers DNS cache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom