Can't believe what I've just done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazzz

Yes I'm a mumpty.

I've just been to refuel my car (C200 CDi 2004 facelift), removed the fuel cap, put a shot of Millers in then reached for the fuel lead and put a litre of unleaded in before I realised :doh:

I then filled to brim with diesel (the tank was already 1/4 of diesel) and drove the 2 miles home.

Looking on the net I can see very conflicting opinions: the AA Fuel Assist people say less than 5 litres on a full tank should be OK provided the car wasn't started before filling with diesel. Other opinion is that the damage is done and I can expect to need new pump, injectors etc.

What's your view guys? Is 1 litre in 60 survivable? Will the Millers help?

Thanks from a very upset newbie.

hi there, this happenned to a mate of mine last year and basically he was told to keep topping up with diesel every fifty miles or so to keep diluting the petrol. it seemed to work as he had no problems.

andy

You should be ok, you can get away with a certain ammount of Petrol in a Diesel, BUT, not the other way round:thumb:

Thanks - to say it has ruined my evening is an understatement :eek:

Other than keeping it topped up, any other tips?

Ha! You can be sure I'll break into a cold sweat and panic every time I visit a garage for the next 10 years - just in case I've picked up the wrong hose.

So annoyed with myself :wallbash:

Is 1 litre in 60 survivable? Will the Millers help?

That's a tiny ratio - I know technology has moved on but in some countries they still mix up to 25% petrol in cold weather. Also some people put a bit of petrol in to clean things out.

The Millers will provide extra lube for the high pressure pump.

I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. Instead congratulate yourself that you realised quickly - most people fill the whole tank with petrol.

+1 i had heard of diesel drivers in cold climates adding some petrol to the mix to stop the diesel solidifying.

My boss did this last week.
One of the guys that work for us had used his own car because our minibus was off the road for a couple of days So being the nice guy he is He filled his car (Renault Scenic) up for him with petrol!!!! He did get it sorted and filled it full of deisel this time!

OK, well I'm calming down a bit now :thumb:

Got a 200 mile trip tomorrow so unless anyone can convince me I really should bite the bullet and get the car drained/flushed, then I think I'll risk it.

Cheers.

That would be a waste of time and money, used to have a series Land Rover and in the winter it always went better with some petrol mixed with the Diesel, seems to stop it gelling in the cold weather.:thumb:

I once put 5 litres of petrol in my diesel Saab before realising. Filled the tank up with diesel (another 40 odd litres) and never had any issues. Won't make a habit of it though! :D

Car will be fine and no worse for it, and you can dilute it out slowly be adding another tenners worth of derv every so often and eventually it will be banished,.

It will be ok - but keep topping up to dilute it when you can.

You wont have any problem at all with such a small amount of petrol, stop worrying in every way.

Dave!

+1 i had heard of diesel drivers in cold climates adding some petrol to the mix to stop the diesel solidifying.

Just about to post this too. It was a trick from when times were cold ( you know before global warming)

Keep topping and youll be fine.

So, how come in the winter of 1941/2 Germany's petrol-powered Mark IIIs and IVs wouldn't start but Russia's diesel-powered T34s just kept going?

Because they didn't have a Tiger in their tanks !

Interestingly , I was just scanning a bit of the W124 owners' manual and came across the following pages on Diesel fuel and use in cold climates !

Untitled-6-1.jpg

Untitled-7-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom