Can't connect mobile phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
My work has just given me a Nokia Lumia 800. I have tried pairing it with my car but it just will not do it. I have a 2008 C Class with COMAND. I also have the bluetooth module with the privacy handset in the centre armrest.

I have tried pairing it with the handset, and directly to COMAND with the handset removed and it doesnt want to pair. I keep getting an error message saying "Check telephone".

Can anyone tell me, do I need an firmware update from the dealer, or is it just not possible? It would pair with every other phone, just not this one.

Thanks

Current Windows phones do not support BT SAP and you would not be able to pair it with the "privacy handset". But it should work fine with your radio, wife has one of each (a Lumia 800 and a W204) and the two work fine. Try to follow pairing instructions from the radio user manual.

Current Windows phones do not support BT SAP and you would not be able to pair it with the "privacy handset". But it should work fine with your radio, wife has one of each (a Lumia 800 and a W204) and the two work fine. Try to follow pairing instructions from the radio user manual.

apologies for the bump of an older thread but i have a similar query.

i don't understand the terminology so i don't know if that reply answers my query too! :eek:

thought i'd decided our next new business phones will be the Lumia 820, only to read this on the nokia forums -
"2. Tethering via Bluetooth is not possible.
Modern car telematic systems (like COMAND from Mercedes-Benz) use a bluetooth connection to the mobile phone for hand free phone capabilities (required by law in many countries). This bluetoth connection is also used to connect to the internet for getting actual information about traffic, weather, POI etc."

does this mean the 820 (or any other windows phone by the sound of it) won't connect via bluetooth? it will be for a 2012 E class with APS50 (?), not full comand.

thanks

apologies for the bump of an older thread but i have a similar query.

i don't understand the terminology so i don't know if that reply answers my query too! :eek:

thought i'd decided our next new business phones will be the Lumia 820, only to read this on the nokia forums -
"2. Tethering via Bluetooth is not possible.
Modern car telematic systems (like COMAND from Mercedes-Benz) use a bluetooth connection to the mobile phone for hand free phone capabilities (required by law in many countries). This bluetoth connection is also used to connect to the internet for getting actual information about traffic, weather, POI etc."

does this mean the 820 (or any other windows phone by the sound of it) won't connect via bluetooth? it will be for a 2012 E class with APS50 (?), not full comand.

thanks

My understanding is that Lumia 820 still does not support BT SAP (like all Symbian models and most S40 models) but it would certainly support the BT HF profile that you would need for the 2012 E-class.

I have not checked if 820 would support BT PAN, I assume not, Nokia has deactivated it since the early S60 phones. The Comand Online head units however have so far used BT dial-up profile for internet connectivity. This would be supported, BT PAN is an issue with iPhones that do not support dial-up (unrestricted) but instead prefer BT PAN. I've understood BT PAN support would be coming for Comand units but that would not be an issue for you with the 820.

sorry, but most of that has gone right over my head i'm afraid!

our current nokia c7's, which i thought were symbian?, connect via bluetooth with no issues.

as i said, it's not full Comand in the E350 just APS 50, definitely no online capability.

so would a Lumia 820 connect ok via bluetooth without the need for buying any additional kit?

many thanks :)

edit - now answered. i'd asked earlier on MB UK on facebook, reply received & they provided this link which gave me my answer - Lumia 820, computer says 'no' ! oh well, the search for a new phone continues...

Last edited:
I have a Windows 8 HTC 8X, and it connects to my C Class Coupe 204 with out any problems at all, the address book transfers and it streams music via blutooth and reads text messages. It also says on the Mercedes bluetooth connectivity site, linked on the previous post, that windows phone software is approved to use

Last edited:
I have a Windows 8 HTC 8X, and it connects to my C Class Coupe 204 with out any problems at all, the address book transfers and it streams music via blutooth and reads text messages. It also says on the Mercedes bluetooth connectivity site, linked on the previous post, that windows phone software is approved to use

For calls yes.

For mobile internet no.

I haven't got comand online!

Just checked the bluetooth compatibility for our car on the MB site link again, the only nokia lumia showing is the 710. Other newish phones appear to be showing, but no idea how up to date the info is.

Where the question had been raised on the nokia forum, that i quoted earlier, i'm sure it was someone from nokia that actually replied & stated it was down to windows OS. But that wouldn't appear to be the case if a windows HTC is working ok.

Why is this so complicated?! :doh:

No it wont work with comand online...(neither does iPhone).

Can you tell why? iPhone does not support (unrestricted) BT Dial-up but BT PAN only while Comand on-line does not support BT PAN but only BT dial-up.

I'm not exactly familiar with the Windows phones but I thought Windows phones have an open modem interface?

Why is this so complicated?! :doh:

I don't think it is complicated if you ignore all the details that aren't so important anyway.

For hands-free calls one can assume that any bluetooth capable modern phone (aren't they all BT capable?) would work with any bluetooth HF profile car kit or an integrated HF kit.

Problems can appear with phone book transfer or more complicated things that the Comand on-line head unit does.

I don't think it is complicated if you ignore all the details that aren't so important anyway.

For hands-free calls one can assume that any bluetooth capable modern phone (aren't they all BT capable?) would work with any bluetooth HF profile car kit or an integrated HF kit.

Problems can appear with phone book transfer or more complicated things that the Comand on-line head unit does.

firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply & offer your help. this is obviously a subject you have knowledge of. :)

so, ignore all the details that aren't so important?

i'm trying to, in amongst all the terms that i have no idea what they refer to, ie. the part in bold in your last reply.

i apologise that i'm finding this complicated, but i have found differing answers wherever i look -

nokia forum - 820 won't connect via bluetooth as it won't tether, limitation of the windows OS
MBUK link - Lumia 820 isn't listed for my car in bluetooth compatibility, so i assume it won't work
this forum - i get jargon i simply don't understand & a windows phone user who says their phone works fine

i'm really sorry that i'm finding all the above a tad confusing! :ban:

seriously, i've gone right off the flippin 820 now anyway...:rolleyes:

Abbie, Calm down and listen:

99% of phone in the world will connect to the cars bluetooth and just work. Most (Nokia / Windows 8 included) will transfer contacts and call lists etc)

The Merc Comand Online bit however (which you say you dont have) is picky about which phones it will play with for internet functions. This bit you can ignore. :)

HTH

Can you tell why? iPhone does not support (unrestricted) BT Dial-up but BT PAN only while Comand on-line does not support BT PAN but only BT dial-up.

I'm not exactly familiar with the Windows phones but I thought Windows phones have an open modem interface?

I think it is because Comand Online is screwy... mind you it is quite old and out of date now - I would expect the 212 facelift to have a system that just works like the newer systems in Audi or BMW. If only BT was as an exact a standard as it was supposed to be.

Abbie, Calm down and listen:

99% of phone in the world will connect to the cars bluetooth and just work. Most (Nokia / Windows 8 included) will transfer contacts and call lists etc)

The Merc Comand Online bit however (which you say you dont have) is picky about which phones it will play with for internet functions. This bit you can ignore. :)

HTH

i'm quite calm, just a bit fed up! :eek:

yes, i went off on a bit of information gathering (again) after i'd posted & that's just the conclusion i was coming to, ie. connection via bluetooth for simple hands free (see, i didn't even know that HF referred to previously meant that, just thought it was more jargon!) operation of the phone should be ok.

perhaps the guy on the nokia forum that was complaining had Comand & was having issues? he did say it was Mercedes, but didn't elaborate any further.

also, i've asked MB on facebook, if a phone doesn't show in the table does this mean it won't work? these are phones that have come out in the last month or so (the samsung galaxy s3 mini isn't on there either), perhaps their online info just isn't up to date (which wouldn't be a huge surprise).

in conclusion, if i read of someone saying a phone won't connect, check what they're trying to connect to - a simple HF (get me! :p), or a more complex system like Comand.

thanks guys :thumb:

i've still gone off the 820 though! ;) there's no alert light or notification of missed calls/texts etc you have to unlock the screen to check & you can't customise the text alert/reminder or alarm tones. simple things i know, but i'll really miss hearing 'don't you forget about me' when my reminder goes off! :D

I think it is because Comand Online is screwy... mind you it is quite old and out of date now - I would expect the 212 facelift to have a system that just works like the newer systems in Audi or BMW. If only BT was as an exact a standard as it was supposed to be.

I would have preferred a more technical explanation. I know BT is not a very accurate standard but how did you conclude it is about Comand Online then instead of a phone (we know there are phones that Comand Online works with)? I know for the iPhone it is the lack of the BT profile that Comand Online expects, not an issue with crap implementation at one or the other side or a poor BT standard. I did not find the supported BT profiles for Windows 8 phones, would be nice to learn more facts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom