Can't decide on extending warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drbsheffield

I have had my 2002 CLK 320 (current shape) about a month now and have just received the information about renewing the warranty for another year.

They want £680 for the extra year which is a reduced rate of nearly £200.
The thing is.... the car has only covered 33,000 miles, I have spoken to the previous owner who said that he has had no problems other than the niggles that I have had sorted under the warranty, I do around 7000 miles a year and am very steady in it, it is my absolute pride and joy!

Part of me thinks that I should just go for it, but on the other hand I think that nearly £700 gets lots of repairs at an independent dealer.
I know that no one has a crystal ball but with a FMBSH and that sort of mileage I would be upset to have big bills. I am a little nervous as I have always bought new cars!!!!! ARGHHHHH decisions!

Any common problems with the CLK that I should look out for.

THANKS SO MUCH!:D

My vote is to extend the warranty (if it is the comprehensive Merc one that incudes servicing) Old chinese proverb:

"Never have modern Mercedes with no warranty"
:bannana:

Hello,

Given your millage (similar to mine) the warranty I would say is not worth it. If you have your car 3 years and the warranty is £700 then £900 then £1000 (say) I would put £700 in the bank each yr and find a good indy.

I doubt VERY much given your millage you are likley to have £2600 in work at an indy and the car will not be worth much more if any in another 3 years having a FMBSH or FSH.

I'm like you and up until recently I have bought new, but seen the light... get such a great buy second hand:D

Thats my view anyway...

My vote is to extend the warranty (if it is the comprehensive Merc one that incudes servicing) Old chinese proverb:
Be a little careful there - you're referring to ServicePlus, which is offered as covering servicing and wear and tear repairs. Its coverage seems to be being generously interperated, but it's not a warranty.

I dont understand why people feel the need to have the extended warranty at these crazy premiums.if you had a ford mondeo after the 3 yrs you dont extend the warranty,so why with a merc.if it goes wrong have it repaired,take it to an indy and away you go.

I think that is a fair point, I guess that all the cars that i have owned I have been fortunate enought to be covered under warranty so it is a bit of an unknown, plus the service manager saying about this radiator problem that can lead to a £5k bill!!!! scary stuff!

I think because an MB would typically be worth more than Mondeo so it's worth keeping it in good nick. I also reckon there's a feeling that almost anything that goes wrong is going to cost a small fortune to put right.

Be a little careful there - you're referring to ServicePlus, which is offered as covering servicing and wear and tear repairs. Its coverage seems to be being generously interperated, but it's not a warranty.

If something fails that wasn't down to wear and tear and isn't due to some sort of accident / abuse / misuse then it is a manufacturing defect.

On that basis it's a bit difficult for them not to cover it under Service+!

I'm a bit thick and don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain? Apart from tyres what is not covered by Service Plus but is covered by a warranty and please name the warranty?

John

Hello,

Given your millage (similar to mine) the warranty I would say is not worth it. If you have your car 3 years and the warranty is £700 then £900 then £1000 (say) I would put £700 in the bank each yr and find a good indy.

I doubt VERY much given your millage you are likley to have £2600 in work at an indy and the car will not be worth much more if any in another 3 years having a FMBSH or FSH.

I'm like you and up until recently I have bought new, but seen the light... get such a great buy second hand:D

Thats my view anyway...

Couldnt agree more with this comment ...the thing is there is no cast iron guarantee they [ Mercedes ] would fix everything or anything that goes wrong with the car ... you only have to read the threads on here in terms of disputes /mercedes / and a warranty...( or for that matter any other main dealer , they seem to be all the same ) .

In my opinion warranties are a false sense of security...but thats synical ole me !!! Dealerships would not survive without the whole package of servicing /warranties that they sell to customers. A Dealership is a buisness , out to make money .. .. they want your hard earned cash !!.. for their own immoral lifestyles...apologies for the rant ........:eek:

That is kind of the conclusion that I had too, I guess that the warranty company is out to make money theoretically it must cost, on average significantly less in warranty claims that the renewal otherwise they would make a loss.
I think that with forum sites etc it is easy to get a bit scared by reliability etc, I know that Mercedes gets a bit of a bad press about reliability sometimes but I guess that this is a bit of a mixed bag of reasons, we all have very high expectations of the brand and quite rightly so but it makes any faults more glaring I guess.
Whatever I love my Benz!!!!! I am a total convert, already been thinking that I will have a CLS next I think that they are the most beautiful car on the road, better get saving!!!!!

Straight extended warranties are always expensive. Service plus is usually much better value for money as not only does it seem to come out cheaper but also covers servicing and mot costs. But it's only available in full years up to a car being 6 years old. This car is either turned or coming up to 5 years old so the most you'll get in service plus if anything at all would be 12 months. If the car is not yet 5 then it is certainly worth getting a quote for Service Plus, but depending when your service is likely to be due and your MoT, you might not get the best out of it. But I reckon it will still cover anything that a warranty covers should anything go wrong.

It might be worthwhile getting the car fully looked over by an indie to see if there is likely to be anything needing replacement in the coming 12 months. You can't claim for brakes (pads & disks), for 3 months under service plus, so if they need doing now or very soon, SP won't cover them and you'll have to pay, but if they're likely to need doing in the period Service Plus would cover, then it might be worth considering.

tbh, if I couldn't have SP I wouldn't bother with a warranty. I'd put the money in the bank, just in case, and take it to a good indie.

Last edited:
I'm a bit thick and don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain? Apart from tyres what is not covered by Service Plus but is covered by a warranty and please name the warranty?
We've discussed this at length previously, and I have bought ServicePlus, so I really am hoping for the best.

However it's clear that MB's aim is that ServicePlus would cover service plus wear and tear items - MB's website talks about:
"bulbs, brake pads, discs and clutch assemblies or anything else that might be considered normal wear and tear."

Now, we know that MB have been very liberal in their coverage so far, but there's nothing in the documentation to stop them saying that a failed item (like, say, the engine management ECU) is a simple failure, and therefore not covered. Wear is a gradual thing (like your brake pads wearing out) - electronic items don't usually wear out - they either work or they don't work.

My hope is that even if MB say a failure is not covered by ServicePlus they would still repair FOC under goodwill - from a legal basis the supplier has an obligation that an item should last a reasonable length of time, and I would be hopeful that on a premium brand like MB that it would be held that major components should last at least 5yrs (at average mileages).

Never mind the website, what's quoted below is the definitions section from my contract. Legally it's not a warranty as it's an agreement between DCUK and the individual. However as John says, show me a warranty that provides the same cover.

1 DEFINITIONS
In this agreement
a) "Vehicle" means the motor vehicle operated by the Customer specified in any Schedule ("Vehicle Schedule") expressed to be supplementary to this
Agreement.
b) "Nominated Workshop" means the service and repair workshop for Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars specified in the relevant Vehicle Schedule or such other
Mercedes-Benz Retailer as DCUK shall nominate.
c) "Authorised Repairer" means the service and repair workshop of any Mercedes-Benz Retailer other than the Nominated Workshop.
d) "Works" means Maintenance and Repair carried out to a Vehicle in the United Kingdom and in any of the countries listed in the relevant Vehicle Schedule.
e) "Maintenance and/or Repair" of a Vehicle means:
i) the performance of all maintenance and service tasks recommended in the Handbook applicable to that Vehicle, including the supply of all lubricants and
other materials required for such tasks;
ii) the preparation of a Vehicle for the annual MOT test and the arrangement of and submission of that Vehicle for such test, including payment of the test
fee;
iii) the performance of any preventive treatment checks or other work which DCUK, or the Nominated Workshop, in its absolute discretion, determines to be
necessary with a view to the efficient and reliable operation of that Vehicle;
iv) the performance of all repairs becoming necessary as a result of wear in normal use of that Vehicle in the application set out in the relevant Vehicle
Schedule;
v) The recovery of that Vehicle within the United Kingdom to the nearest Authorised Repairer for the purpose of carrying out any work specified in (iv)
above.
f) "Contract Period" means in respect of any Vehicle the period beginning on the Commencing Date specified in the relevant Vehicle Schedule and ending on
the earliest of:
i) the Finishing Date specified in the relevant Vehicle Schedule; or
ii) the attainment of the Absolute Maximum Distance specified in the relevant Vehicle Schedule; or
iii) the termination of DCUK's obligation to carry out the Works in respect of it under any other provision of this Agreement.
g) "Monthly Payment" means the monthly payment specified in the relevant Vehicle Schedule as varied from time to time where appropriate.
h) "Annual Distance" means the distance specified in the relevant Vehicle Schedule upon which Monthly Payments are based.
2 EXCLUSIONS
"Maintenance and Repair" does not include:
i) the rectification of damage caused by:
- accidents or force; and
- the use in the Vehicle of parts other than approved Mercedes-Benz spare parts; and
- the use in the Vehicle of oils or other service products which have not been approved by DCUK; and
- neglect, misuse, abuse or improper handling of the Vehicle, which expression shall include but not be limited to, overloading and unauthorised
modifications made to a vehicle by the customer or any third party; and
- the use of the Vehicle for any application other than normal road use for the carriage of passengers and normal domestic effects, all luggage and the
towing of trailers within the recommended towing capacity of the vehicle; and
- persons other than the authorised contractors, representatives and employees of an Authorised Repairer having performed work on the Vehicle; and
ii) the repair of damaged glass; and
iii) damage to, or wear of the tyres (unless otherwise agreed with DCUK and specifically referred to in the relevant Vehicle Schedule); and
iv) the maintenance of any paint work (unless otherwise agreed with DCUK and specifically referred to in the relevant Vehicle Schedule); and
v) the repair and maintenance of any bodywork or equipment not fitted to the Vehicle as originally manufactured (unless otherwise agreed with DCUK and
specifically referred to in the relevant Vehicle Schedule); and
vi) any repairs necessary by reason of the fitting or use of bodywork or equipment not fitted to the vehicle as originally manufactured or otherwise approved by DCUK; and
vii) the carrying out of any modifications required by law; and
viii)any measures required to be carried out in preparing the Vehicle for storage for an extended period of time and the elimination of damage arising during any
such period of storage; and
ix) the rectification of any damage or other work arising as a consequence of the Customer refusing, or failing to make the Vehicle available as required by
Clause 4(b) hereof; and
x) daily or other regular checks such as the maintenance of coolant levels, lubricant levels, tyre pressures, anti-freeze additives, etc., specified in the Handbook
applicable to that Vehicle and the provision of lubricants and materials required for these between services; and
xi) repairs carried out under any warranty given at the time of sale of the Vehicle.

By stating their exclusions they have admitted liabilty to all others...that is a cool definition..I am amazed and have sent off for a quote asap....

I have the quotes in - I must say they are prompt..So now its all a matter of deciding the variables - do I go for a lower mileage (all in KM) and risk the PPK penalty - if they check that is - do I ask for a quote to take it up to 6 years of age - will I keep the car that long?

Service Plus
Distance
time
ppk
3ys
2yrs
1yr
3yr
2yrs
1yr
3yrs
2yrs
1yr

Last edited:
sorry for the spacing - cut and paste isnt my forte

sorry for the spacing - cut and paste isnt my forte

Having hurt my brain working out the chart it would seem that a 3year service plus at 22526 km (14k miles) per annum comes out at £71.52 per month (ex vat I assume).

If i am correct, this seems like a steal (going to get a quote for 20k pa).

Either that or my ability to read figures is severely compromised......

Can I ask who you got the quote from?

yes you read the figures correctly - sorry about the spacing - I tried and tried but wasnt gonna type it all again...lol

quotes from

[email protected]

cheers - love to see what 20k pa is think I may go for 14k and risk the PPK penalty if I go over....no rebate for going under..

My problem is that my car will be 6 years old next July and therefore not eligible for the service contract so it is almost £700 just for the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom