Can't decide on main dealer service or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BobbyG

Car
C200 AMG MY2019
MY 2019 C200 is due an "A" service, and when I go through the online booking system, it's recommended that spark plugs are done at this juncture, taking the cost up to around the £700 mark. I can't help but that think it's a bit early for plugs....I wondered if anyone had some insight here?

Really torn as to whether there's any benefit at all having the last "in warranty" service done at the main dealer. I don't need Mobilo, and going forward I have no intention of sticking with the MB dealership for servicing. I wondered if there are any other benefits I'm missing? I've found an independent garage (almost opposite!) who have confirmed that they use all MB parts, XENTRY diagnostics etc. Can't say I'm not tempted by the savings, which are pretty much 50%.

Any insight to help me decide either way would be appreciated! Thanks :)

At first glance, it looks to me from what you say that you have pretty much answered your own question and the indie is the way to go. That said, it obviously depends on the relative merits of the dealer and indie in question. If the dealer has a good reputation and the indie is questionable, then the saving might be a false one, but if the other way round, then it might well be worth going with the indie.
For what it's worth, I have a Mercedes service plan and have my car serviced at my local dealer, but more due to the fact that I can't find a local independent.

Thanks both...the independent does look good actually. The only issue I have is that it's not just MB, it's essentially all German marques. I was just thinking, do SD card maps get updated or anything like that if serviced at MB? Or Live Traffic etc?

On the Spark Plugs front...I've actually found some info on the MB service sheet website which indicates they should be changed Every 46,500 miles/3 years.

MY 2019 C200 is due an "A" service, and when I go through the online booking system, it's recommended that spark plugs are done at this juncture, taking the cost up to around the £700 mark. I can't help but that think it's a bit early for plugs....I wondered if anyone had some insight here?

Really torn as to whether there's any benefit at all having the last "in warranty" service done at the main dealer. I don't need Mobilo, and going forward I have no intention of sticking with the MB dealership for servicing. I wondered if there are any other benefits I'm missing? I've found an independent garage (almost opposite!) who have confirmed that they use all MB parts, XENTRY diagnostics etc. Can't say I'm not tempted by the savings, which are pretty much 50%.

Good time for a service plan.

My 18 year old girl still has the original plugs with 69000 on the clock, having said that I will be replacing them this April when I do my full fluid change, i.e. engine oil, rear diff, steering rack and brake fluid, I did coolant few years ago. My handbook recommends plugs around the 50000 mile mark but she still drives fine. Good luck with what you choose.

I’d be buying a service plan in your position. The additional items are likely to kick in over the next 2 or three services, ir plugs, transmission fluid, etc.

When my SL 400 was due a service at 35K miles, the schedule indicated new spark plugs. My local Indy did the service and the plugs were less than £10 each, plus a small labour charge. The local dealership are so arrogant that they ignored my request for a quote. When out of warranty, I have always used an Indy for servicing. I usually sell privately and find that a mixed service record of dealer and Indy works perfectly fine as reassurance to potential buyers. I have sometimes needed to explain that Indys have the same diagnostics and skills as dealers - thanks to the brilliant piece of EU legislation which prevented manufacturers from having a total monopoly on servicing!

See also:

Thanks everyone....should have seen that Sticky at the top of the page!

I've decided to take on a service plan over 3 years :)

Thanks everyone....should have seen that Sticky at the top of the page!

I've decided to take on a service plan over 3 years :)
Make sure you ask for comand update if there is one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom