Can't fit fuel filler cap !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ollya

Hi,
I've got a CLK W209. Filled up today but couldn't get the fuel filler cap back on. I guess it's common to many models.
Pleeeeeeeeease...anyone got any ideas? Do I need to "re-set" it or something?

Thanks

Attachments

• FillerCap1.jpg
    FillerCap1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 94
  • FillerCap2.jpg
    FillerCap2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 93
It looks like the cap is in the LOCKED position, therefore put key back in and whilst holding cap unlock it, this I think should bring the metal cross bar more into line with the pladtic lugs and allow the cap to be refitted.
Of course this will only work if the cap actually takes a key!!

You guessed it...no key

If there's no lock then it must surely turn by hand then?

Erm.....did you really type that?

To add a bit more detail to those who don't take me for a numpty, the cap's not able to sit flush to the neck as it used to. Hoping to go to dealers in an hour and look at one there.

The problem is with your fuel cap.What you have to do is you`ll have to turn the metal piece clockwise all the way.The catches have to sit at that plastic stoper

Righty oh so I guess pull the metal bit towards me, out of the notches it's sitting in, and rotate it to meet the plastic tab.
It was pretty stiff, as in wouldn't budge, from what I remember yesterday...ah..just saw your PM. Thanks will give you a bell when I've got the cap in front of me if I can't sort it
Ta

Righty oh so I guess pull the metal bit towards me, out of the notches it's sitting in, and rotate it to meet the plastic tab.

That`s correct

Erm.....did you really type that?

To add a bit more detail to those who don't take me for a numpty.

No need for that.

To be honest i've not heard of anyone else not being able to get the fuel cap back on after they have taken it off ? :crazy:

Wouldn't think it happens to many people.

No need for that.

To be honest i've not heard of anyone else not being able to get the fuel cap back on after they have taken it off ? :crazy:

Wouldn't think it happens to many people.

The plastic part of the cap slipping round is a common thing to happen. I did two last week.

As one of the posts above says just clip the metal part back into the groves.

Appologies for the tiny strop, appreciate the posters were only trying to help but I wouldn't have posted if it was something as simple as turning the cap on a car I've owned for 4 years, actually I'm not sure even know what an internet forum is if I was that dim.
Anyway, all sorted now, droped by dealers and looked at one of theirs.
Had to remove the cap from my car and use two levers to pull up the metail bits and rotate them so they sit down the ramped bit tight against the plastic 'tabs'

Dealer said it's fairly common and since it's happened once to expect it again and again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom