Can't get CarPlay to start on my mum's 2021 B Class with MBUX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keldacghend

Car
GLA
I own a GLA and have had no problems with CarPlay working over the last couple of years. The car came with a USB-A to Lightning cable that I've used since I owned it without any problems.

My mum bought a 2021 B Class with MBUX. It didn't come with a specific cable from Mercedes. She's been connecting it using her normal Apple charging cable, and hasn't been able to get CarPlay to show up.

I can't use my cable in her car to check, as it's USB-A, whereas her car only has an input for USB-C to Lightning.

I've connected her phone to the car using the Apple charging cable, and navigated in settings to the screen where you can choose Android Auto or Carplay. The message just says please connect a compatible phone via USB. I'm definitely connecting it into the proper media port in the car, which is located in the front tray, rather than just the two charging ports within the central console underneath the armrest.

Do I need the specific Mercedes cable in order for this to work? Am I missing anything else? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Some cars do have issue with non Apple charging cables, are you using the original Apple cable

The car is still under warranty, so worst case it might need a dealer visit. Our 2019 C Class didn't recognise either iPhone or Android handsets when they were connected to the data port (obviously we tried multiple cables with each) ... initially they fitted a new media control module, but it then had to go back for a software update to get it working reliably. It's been fine ever since.

OK, may just have to do that. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to buy a specific Mercedes USBC to lightning cable, as from memory, my 2019 GLA Carplay only seems to work with the Mercedes media cable that came with the car, and not with my (genuine) Apple cable. But if others are using their regular Apple cables with these newer models, then it's clearly a car issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom