Can't make these stories up, can you ?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Godot, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Godot

Godot Active Member

Advocatus Diaboli in a Rest Home for the Terminall
    Car:
    A180 CDI Elegance Auto 3 Door Panoramic Sun Roof, Bi Xenons
    1 person likes this.
  2. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    On our Scottish Trip. I noticed for the first time that there is a warning printed on the small packs of butter which you get in hotels at meal times. It said.

"This product contains milk"

Milk in butter!! They will be putting garlic in bread next.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. mattc

mattc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    There are some idiots in the world. Must be a complete idiot if his children are traamatised by a few dead fish - heaven help them as they grow up.

4. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    This is a very good post on that link;

by chrisgdFriday, September 2 2011, 8:28PM
    “An amusing little tale. Unfortunately, it masks the serious side of the story. Far too many tourists have the idea that coming down here on holiday gives them the right to dictate terms to the rest of us who live and work here. For the vast majority of local people, tourism is an intrusion, an inconvenience and a blight on our way of life.”

5. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Whilst I agree with the first part of his sentiment...he is totally wrong regarding his views on tourism which probably sustains him and his way of life far more than he appreciates.

6. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I generally agree with you, but I had to show the complete quote.

We were on holiday last week and got talking to another holidaymaking couple who complained that they could hear the last train passing(which was about a mile away and at 9.30ish at night).

7. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    Tourists are just a fact of life in the South West. When I am stuck for hours behind caravans on the A30 over Dartmoor in the summer I hate them with a passion, but without them the local economy would be even more disastrous. Of course, if we had proper transport links and broadband in the South West some business might actually re-locate there (it is a great place to live) but without it tourism just has to be there.

8. scottishman2

scottishman2 Active Member

Car:
    CLK AMG 55 Cab

Check the inside of the door in the in-room safes in hotels (the one the size of a shoe-box - for small feet!!). There is usually a warning that you are at risk of suffocation if you get locked in :)

2 people like this.
  9. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    My family and I went on a cruise round the med, where an old couple complained to the waiter that the ice cream was too cold and the false flowers on the table were too dry. :p

10. MD5

MD5 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230 w251
    Living in a holiday resort myself, I often chuckle when I think back to a regular announcement on the local radio news some years ago, which quoted a police Chief Inspector requesting that Bank Holiday visitors should stagger their return journeys to avoid traffic chaos!

11. Wizeng

Wizeng Active Member

Car:
    W203 220CDI A/G Sport Est
    I supposed he didn't want to go for a paddle in case he got "in salted" :D

12. clever dicky

clever dicky Active Member

Car:
    Jag
    Dont be so quick to poke fun at people.

Its funny that I should read this mentioned for the first time in my life. But on a holiday at Selsey Bill as a young kid ( 8-9 ) that could just have been me. We watched a small boat come in the sort that the rescue guys have. It was wooden with inflatable orange bits round the top. In what seemed the space of 30 seconds these guys jumped out, messed around abit and then started hacking off the heads of some fish they caught. Right in front of us.
    I appreciate this is life and natural, but at the time the only thing Id seen 'die' was a budgie of natural causes. Seeing fish hacked apart with a large machete and 'blood & guts' did turn my stomach and to this day I am repulsed by any thought of sea creature being food.

OK with steak though :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  13. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk

This is for old-timers. There was indeed no milk in the butter in 1945.... though I think they called it 'margarine'... :D

14. mattc

mattc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    I was not aware I was poking fun at the chap - I was calling him an idiot. I don't think his "anger" was in the least funny.

What has the world come to that his poor children don't even understand where their food comes from.

I think its rich that he even moans..but what should I expect in a country where people move into homes next to a church or a shooting ground or a pub, etc, etc and then moan about the noise:doh:.

Sorry you cannot stomach seafood; you are missing a world of pleasure (says he who has enjoyed lobster, rock lobsters, river prawns, clams, crabs, tuna, monkfish, red snapper, dorado, squid, etc in the last month)

15. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    They weren't 'hacking them up' the fish were stacked in crates on the quayside in the original post :confused:

He must surely have been having a laugh , complaining about fish stacked in crates on the quayside of a fishing port ? :rolleyes:

And as for going to the local newspaper when the harbourmaster didn't see things his way , well that's just attempting to be spiteful.

I've stayed in Ilfracombe , and they are a pretty close knit community , God help him if he ever tries to book a holiday down there again. His name will get round.

I wonder if he averts his childrens gaze when he passes the fish counter in the supermarket , or God forbid , a fishmongers .

'No no Tarquin !! Fish are grown in cellophane boxes !!'

1 person likes this.
Tags: