Cant move gears out of park ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craigt

I have a mercedes S Class 2000.

I currently have a problem with my car not starting, after trying fuse options etc with no avail. i guessed a trip to a merc garage, to find out i cant tow it, its stuck in PARK !!

any ideas how to release to neutral to allow towing ?

Please Help

On the W210, which I suspect is similar, I believe you could poke a long 'thing' similar to a pen down a flap at the bottom left of the gear shift, to disengage.

It's a few years ago, so my memory is a bit vague. Have a look at that area though.

Should be covered in the handbook, if you have one.

On the W210, which I suspect is similar, I believe you could poke a long 'thing' similar to a pen down a flap at the bottom left of the gear shift, to disengage.

It's a few years ago, so my memory is a bit vague. Have a look at that area though.

Yes,that correct.Had to do it on mine last week.
Regards
John

As far as I know all automatic cars have a manual override for the lock-in-Park position, mainly to overcome issues when the battery is dead.

So follow the advice above and you should find how to do this... on my C-Class you poke it with a pen through a small opening in the cup holder, for example.

Unfortunately that did not work on my W220. I had to remove the gear knob and tap (whack) the top of gear selector with a mallet while pulling it out of park. In my case it was a faulty solenoid that caused the problem.

Just had mercedes recover the car (expensive decision)- however, THANK YOU eGuru, as thats exactly what the mercedes technician did, remove coweling, and swiftly tap the top of the lever whilst pulling out of park. Even RAC didnt do this last night

Now waiting for the dreaded phonecall from Mercedes :-(

Just had mercedes recover the car (expensive decision)- however, THANK YOU eGuru, as thats exactly what the mercedes technician did, remove coweling, and swiftly tap the top of the lever whilst pulling out of park. Even RAC didnt do this last night

Now waiting for the dreaded phonecall from Mercedes :-(

If MB tell you that a new selector is required for £800+, there is a cheaper fix for this problem;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom