Can't remove headrest motor (R129)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DHL87

Car
R129 SL320, BMW 340i Touring, L405 Range Rover
I got some replacement aftermarket headrest gears to fix both sides on may R129, however, I've got as far as removing the headrest motor itself. This is where I'm stuck... the two bolts on the seat back that hold the motor in place, I cannot seem to get the bolts to budge and the metal seems quite soft as the head almost round off with the pressure of trying to undo the thing....

Any tips or advice before I have to add it to the list of things for my local inde to fix?

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 15.39.50.png

Thanks.

Well having got this far,I suppose you could use a pair of good mole grips,the heads of those bolts seem well exposed so you should get the grips on them,is there nothing on utube about this?

Well having got this far,I suppose you could use a pair of good mole grips,the heads of those bolts seem well exposed so you should get the grips on them,is there nothing on utube about this?

All the videos I've seen either skip past this and just show the refitting or shows them unscrewing fairly easily...

Gave it a good WD-40 soak overnight in the hope it might help - but mole grips is a good shout. Need to get some ordered from Amazon.

Cut a slot in them with a mini grinder/hacksaw that fits EXACTLY to your big screwdriver head, preferably your screwdriver with a 'strike' head and a hex on the shaft that you can use a spanner on and get busy with a hammer.

Have you given them a smack with a brass punch on the flat of the bolt ? that is a much used but often overlooked method to aid bolt release Be careful not to set airbags off while hitting.

WD40 not good enough , try PlusGas or one of the 'Freeze' release sprays available. Your indy is only going to charge for the same thing , what have you got to lose ? Good Luck

P.S order new bolts first :thumb:

Cut a slot in them with a mini grinder/hacksaw that fits EXACTLY to your big screwdriver head, preferably your screwdriver with a 'strike' head and a hex on the shaft that you can use a spanner on and get busy with a hammer.

Have you given them a smack with a brass punch on the flat of the bolt ? that is a much used but often overlooked method to aid bolt release Be careful not to set airbags off while hitting.

WD40 not good enough , try PlusGas or one of the 'Freeze' release sprays available. Your indy is only going to charge for the same thing , what have you got to lose ? Good Luck

P.S order new bolts first :thumb:
Thanks Pete

Managed to get 3 out of the 4 off after the WD40 soaking, the problem one I hammered on the round end of a spanner on which worked a treat.

Now have two working headrests again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom