Can't send e-mails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Regardless, the fact remains that you can't send email...?
I can from outlook.com but it's pretty hopeless. I'm receiving e-mails in WLM2012 but have to go to outlook.com to reply (by starting a new message). Messy and completely inappropriate for work. Soon enough a customer will ask me for a price quote so I need to get on top of it ASAP.

Can a scam have done this? I haven't opened anything dodgy.
I've just e-mailed MS at the e-mail address (which, WLM2012 cannot save to contacts) from outlook.com asking what is going on. Should I contact BT? They have helped me in the past with WLM2012 issues.

I can from outlook.com but it's pretty hopeless. I'm receiving e-mails in WLM2012 but have to go to outlook.com to reply (by starting a new message). Messy and completely inappropriate for work.
As a temporary measure, select the "leave messages on the server" option in WLM2012 and that way you'll be able to reply to the original message on Outlook.com using webmail.

Unfortunately, official support for WLM2012 ceased at the beginning of 2017 so I doubt you'll get any meaningful response from Microsoft.

Regarding the "mailbox full" emails you're receiving, ISTR that some of the "free" email clients provided by Microsoft would "send" emails indicating certain conditions, but in reality this was just a message that the program itself generated and put into the account's inbox. The way to check that would be to examine the email header to see if it had traversed any external servers or not.

As a test, it would be worthwhile installing and trying sending / receiving emails with a different client on your laptop such as Thunderbird. If that works OK then you will have narrowed the issue to a problem with WLM2012; if it doesn't work OK you'll know that it's a backend server issue (which is sounding increasingly unlikely).

Oh, and just to add: If you do install another email client, I'd be inclined to use that as a breakpoint to swap from POP3 to IMAP as that will allow you to receive and send emails synchronised across multiple devices.

Back in a mo' to explain more - all sorted.

Oh, and just to add: If you do install another email client, I'd be inclined to use that as a breakpoint to swap from POP3 to IMAP as that will allow you to receive and send emails synchronised across multiple devices.
Thanks - that would just about been workable if I'd had to persevere with what I was stuck with.

Back in a mo' to explain more - all sorted.
Sorted.
Phoned BT and spoke with level 2 tech guy and he took me through it. What had happened is that although I cleared a shed load from WLM2012 it remained on MS servers - but only sent items. He showed me how to clear it - and that it is from a different page to outlook live.com that it has to be done. Now I'm sitting at only 26% of available mailbox. The set-up I have is a BT deal and only has 1gb mailbox capacity - hence the warning at 0.96gb.

Mighty relieved it's fixed. Thanks to all who responded. Somehow, it led me to calling BT which provided the solution.

Glad it's sorted - and the 1GB limit does explain the apparent disparity on storage volumes!

I would give serious consideration to swapping your config to IMAP though as it does have a number of advantages over POP3, together with using a local archive for older emails so as not to clutter up your online storage.

Glad it's sorted - and the 1GB limit does explain the apparent disparity on storage volumes!
It all comes out in the wash!
What doesn't help is the scammers in the background muddying the water.

I would give serious consideration to swapping your config to IMAP though as it does have a number of advantages over POP3, together with using a local archive for older emails so as not to clutter up your online storage.
If you knew just how inept I am with IT and relieved just to get my old familiar set-up working again.....
For now, I'll stick with what I have. It took six years to get to this point - it should be fine for a while longer.

Glad it's sorted I thought it might be that. I had the same issue when one of my addresses got hacked and they had used the mailbox name to send (the overflowing send folder caused to over limit) shed loads of spam to other BTconnect users so the over limit was coming up all the time and I only noticed when I got loads of "message undelivered" notifications. Might be worth checking if you mail address is on the pwned web site for compromised addresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom