Can't start, won't start - something simple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swotty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 CL600
Sorry, me again, with another problem!

2003 W215 CL600

Washed the car yesterday and put her away without any problem.

Went to start her this morning. She opened fine on the remote and the "follow me" lights came on as usual. Turned the key to the start position, whereupon there was a repeated loud clicking noise and the instrument lights flickered in unison. The clicking noise seems to come from somewhere towards the rear of the engine compartment.

Have checked the battery connections and they seem fine. There is no noticeable standing water in the engine bay, but I haven't taken the plastic cover off.

After several tries, the battery seems very much weaker - more than I would have expected. Windows operate very slowly, for example.

Do the batteries just die like that .......... are the symptoms indicative of a failed battery, or do you think it's connected with the washing ....... I wash with a garden hose, not a pressure washer.

Welcome all suggestions ......... am half an hour away from a Merc garage but 5 mins from town with a helpful Renault garage.

Thanks,

Stuart

I'm no expert but that sounds like a battery on it's way out. Can you charge it to get you to the garage and have it tested?

Has all the symptoms of a failed or flat battery.
If you haven't had any charging issues or lights AND you didn't leave anything on after you washed it I would suspect the battery.
As NFDR has said you might just get enough juice into it to start with a charger and you could then drive to get the charging and battery tested.

Could also be a permanent drain from a module but I would get the easy stuff checked out first

Thanks, guys ....... will put it on the charger tomorrow and see.

My XK needs a trickle charger as it flattens the battery in around 2 weeks (a well-known issue with them) and I was only recently thinking how easily the CL starts first time, every time, without the need for that.:doh:

Thanks again,

Stuart

Hi everyone ......... feedback.

It was indeed the battery. Jump-started it with the XK (100Ah, so beefy enough) and took her for a run. All the usual warnings came up - SRS, ESP etc - but have gone once everything reset.

It's really intriguing why it went flat after I washed it, and with no previous signs. I'm now wondering if I didn't lock it; with the XK, if you don't lock it, the electrical systems keep recycling and quickly run down the battery, so perhaps that's what I did.

If she doesn't start tomorrow, I'll know it's the battery ....... if she does, it's me!:confused:

Thanks again,

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom