Can't use my own oil???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MORGANpl

Car
Mercedes W212 E350 AMG Bluetec Night Edition Premium Plus
So my wife car needs service now. It's E320cdi. She use to have C coupe and when I was going to Nottingham Mercedes for service I always brought my own Oil(Castro) with no problem.
This time I've been told that I can't use my own oil?!? ! How come? If I'm customer and I'm paying them to put my oil it should be not there business which one I want to put. I understand I might not have the 1 year road assistance I got from them every service but I don't care about that. All I want is just service with using my own oil. Anyone had same issue?

It differs from one dealer to another. There is no obligation on any garage to agree and use parts (or consumables) provided by the customer. Said that, you can try and negotiate with them... but if they won't budge, your only option is to go elsewhere.

It differs from one dealer to another. There is no obligation on any garage to agree and use parts (or consumables) provided by the customer. Said that, you can try and negotiate with them... but if they won't budge, your only option is to go elsewhere.
I couldn't get on with MB Leicester so I try Nottingham and they where happy. My wife change the car so I go back to them and now they playing that I can't use my oil. If it's all the time running on castrol I want to put castrol not Mobil or shell or whatever they use. Its bloody stupid

Dealers (all marques) make a huge markup on the oil ... some are reluctant to lose this.

It's a bit of a gamble for them though... if they manage to get the customer to buy the oil from them, great. But if the customer walks... then they also lose the markup on the labour and other service parts.

On second thought... perhaps they just figured-out that anyone who is being particular about the oil type... is not a good customer for them ;)

It's a bit of a gamble for them though... if they manage to get the customer to buy the oil from them, great. But if the customer walks... then they also lose the markup on the labour and other service parts.

On second thought... perhaps they just figured-out that anyone who is being particular about the oil type... is not a good customer for them ;)
I thought that nowadays any customer is good as long as he/she pays. There is so many garages out there that in my opinion they should do something to get the customer in not turn him away.

Dealers (all marques) make a huge markup on the oil ... some are reluctant to lose this.

Exactly, if I were a dealer I wouldn't let a customer dictate to me in that way.

I've given up on Inchcape Nottingham and now use Listers at Lincoln or MB Centre, Colwick. Both seem more competent than Inchcape.

I've only ever supplied my own oil to save money ... and then just because it was convenient to buy it cheap at Costco. I suspect the vast majority of owners simply wouldn't bother. I wouldn't personally have any issue with the brand/spec. of oil used by a main dealer.

I've always used my own oil at MB Teesside and Sunderland, they're always a bit reluctant, but agree. I usually use the same oil as they do, which has been Mobil 1 or Shell Helix over the last 6 years but I don't see a problem with any recommended oil.

Getting the Boxster serviced next month, but have a feeling that I won't be using my own oil :(

RR

I have mentioned this before, but not strictly in relation to oil. My friend and Independent tells me that he has had big issues with customers wanting to use their own stuff, then wanting him to absorb the cost of putting things right if, there is a problem with their own supplied stuff. A recent example being brake discs & pads: Customer wants new discs & pads and has bought his own ones that he wants fitted. Nothing else, just discs and pads fitted. A week later customer returns and complains about brake judder, but does not see why he should pay the cost of removing the discs and pads and sending them back to ECP. Nor does he see why he should pay the cost the now blocked ramp etc.

He has also had this with oil (discussed on this forum) where on flushing and replacing the oil on a diesel, as supplied by the customer, the customer then returns two days later and accuses him of not changing the oil "as it is black". This was said in front of other waiting customers!!! My friend agrees (after explaining why it goes black) to flush and change the oil again. It goes black within minutes. Customer now accepts that this is what happens, but does not think it right that they should pay twice for the oil or the labour. Who would be an independent?

Getting the Boxster serviced next month, but have a feeling that I won't be using my own oil :(

My neighbour works for Porsche UK and confirmed to me that their dealers make a huge margin on oil.

If you have a good relationship with your indy with regular servicing and repairs I don't think supplying your own oil should be an issue provided its made clear instances like Bruce has detailed above won't be entertained without payment.
I rang my indy before ordering my oil to check they were OK with it and as it was exactly the same brand and spec as they use it wasn't a problem. I also had MB Newcastle's invoice.
I once supplied Brembo discs and pads and there was a problem getting the pads to fit. I paid for the indy's time to fix it and everyone was happy. But I couldn't complain if it had taken all day.

I would however think carefully about supplying anything other than oil in future, as every indy still has a living to make and taking his profit margin on spares seems unfair.

I have a very good relationship with my indi, based on the fact that he used to work for me when he was a hairy ****d young buck. Albeit a very clever one with the spanners, I supply the bits and he fits them without question. I currently have a full set of Textar pads,Brembo discs,pad wear indicators,serpentine belt kit,oil and filters waiting on the shelf to be fitted as and when required. I always get excellent service from him and his team, although I do have to make my own brews.

I'm sure i have read a similar thread on this recently, my memory isn't very good.

It's quite normal though the dealer does take a gamble but it doesn't really benefit them if the customer supplies there own parts.

Kwik Fit next door to me used to get a fair bit of work from the guys in factory doing odd jobs but then management changed and cracked down now no one uses them any more.

I asked them to fit some lemforder tie rod ends for me as i didn't have the time and they said they won't fit the customers parts anymore, so i called a local formula 1 by me who were very good took the time to talk and had me out in the workshop pointing other things they'd found.

Now if i have any bit and bobs to do and don't have the time to do i use them as they're very resonable with there pricing. The Kwik Fit next door probably doesn't know how much work they've lost and in the grand scheme of things probably don't care as the time slots will be filled one way or another.

For me though it's not the price of the dealers parts that puts me off as i find them to be quite fair most of the time, it's their labour charges.

I was recently quoted £174.00 to fit discs and pads on the front if i supplied the parts and well it was a no brainer, i done it myself in an hour and a half including time for a coffee and then i done the rears this morning in 45 mins.

I would imagine a trained Mercedes mechanic would be able to do this alot faster with power tools and a lift, so i just assume they put the high price there to put me off filling there diary lol

For me though it's not the price of the dealers parts that puts me off as i find them to be quite fair most of the time, it's their labour charges.

The thought of paying £130+ an hour + VAT is horrifying but someone has to pay for those courtesy cars, the plush waiting areas, the multimillion £ workshops and I guess ample MB Tech wages.

The thought of paying £130+ an hour + VAT is horrifying but someone has to pay for those courtesy cars, the plush waiting areas, the multimillion £ workshops and I guess ample MB Tech wages.

Oh i totally agree since the last time i was there they have put a screen up to seperate the the reception area from the desks and forked out for a fancy coffee machine :)

My neighbour works for Porsche UK and confirmed to me that their dealers make a huge margin on oil.

We know how cheap genuine MB oil is on Ebay. It works out at £12 for 5L. What do MB charge at a service ? I'll bet 3 or 4 times that and they buy it in 200 gal drums. What excuse can there be for a margin like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom