Captain Pugwash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did these characters ever exist?

Seaman Stains
Roger the cabin boy
Master Bates

I am sure they did but other disagree. Does anybody know for sure?

Urban Legend as previously said.

Many years ago, I remember a gentleman (I think called Richard Digence) on BBC prime time evening tv bringing up this very question. There was a *shocked* gasp from the studio audience as people struggled to work out whether they had been labouring under a massive misapprehension since childhood. Much the same effect as Andy Pandy blasting Teddy and Looby Loo with a shot gun at close range (I made that up before you all start asking).

Thanks, didn't know that.

However, I think the joke works far better in the NTNOCN context, as in the case above, there's no plausible explanation for why the dog would be mad, other than about being put down - the double meaning is missing.

Sounds like a textbook case of taking a poorly-crafted joke and fashioning it into a classic.

Sacrilege, Sir!

All jokes ever made, originated from Chic! :D Even Billy Connolly acknowledges his influence.

A few jokes here

For whatever reason this link won't work and the address will include ***. Replace these with the letters g, c and l. What the hell is this censored for?

...and here are a few more...

You'll recognise some of them as perfomed by others - even George Best.

Thanks, didn't know that.

However, I think the joke works far better in the NTNOCN context, as in the case above, there's no plausible explanation for why the dog would be mad, other than about being put down - the double meaning is missing.
My bad, actually. del320's second link includes the full gag...
I was taking my dog out the other day and I met this chap who asked me where I was going. The dog is foaming at the mouth, so I explained that I was on my way to the vet to have it put down. He asked if it was mad, to which I replied that it wasn't exactly pleased about it.
Which deals with the context issue quite nicely.

I only saw Chic Murray on TV a couple of times, but his deadpan delivery was quite brilliant.

Along the lines of unfortunate names I did have a teacher at school called Philip Hiscock who went by the nickname of "Call me Phil"

Circa 20 years ago our account manager from a software firm was called Richard Head. And he really did used to introduce himself by saying, "don't call me D i c k" :D

I went to school with a girl called Jennifer Tull.
Not sure her parents thought that through. She got married fairly early in life, I believe.

Deputy Head at my Secondary Modern. One Mr Woodcock - known to all as Timberd i c k.

Or the little treasure often used to humiliate the new barmaid, telephone call, new barmaid answers, is Mike Hunt in tonite? She answers, "I don't know I'm new." Shout it out then...if he's in he'll answer.
"Has anyone seen Mike H**t"....you get the drift

First used afaik in the film Porkys
Richard Pryor as a war prisoner in Japan (Some Kind of Hero , i think ) tells his captors his name is Jack Mehoff

First used afaik in the film Porkys
Richard Pryor as a war prisoner in Japan (Some Kind of Hero , i think ) tells his captors his name is Jack Mehoff

It was a funny thing to do when I started drinking, about 40 years ago!

Did these characters ever exist?

Seaman Stains
Roger the cabin boy
Master Bates

I am sure they did but other disagree. Does anybody know for sure?

No. They were;

Seaman Baines
Master Mates

Not sure on the Roger one....

As for names, I went to school with a chap whose last name was Ramsbottom. He was of course referred to as 'sheeps4r5e'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom