Captain Pugwash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Did these characters ever exist?

Seaman Stains
Roger the cabin boy
Master Bates

I am sure they did but other disagree. Does anybody know for sure?

Nope. It was a hoax started by Victor Lewis-Smith, which then went viral and started affecting people's memories.

The actual characters, apart from Pugwash himself, were Master Mate, Barnabas, Willy and Tom the cabin boy.

Do you mean exist in the programme Captain Pugwash?

As MOCAŠ said, it's all a hoax.

However, on a brighter note there was a striped cat called "Spot" in the Hong Kong Phooey cartoons :D

Yes! Dogging in a lane near you!

Not unlike the collective term for baboons not actually being a flange.
That was just a term written by the Not The Nine O'Clock News team for this famous sketch.

Not The Nine O'Clock News - Gerald the gorilla - YouTube

However, it is has become more widely used. Or is that just an urban myth too?

Probably - I've never heard it used outside that sketch.

Have to say that the "Wild? I was livid!" line (and particularly the manner of its delivery) is one of the funniest in any sketch show I can recall.

Probably - I've never heard it used outside that sketch.

Have to say that the "Wild? I was livid!" line (and particularly the manner of its delivery) is one of the funniest in any sketch show I can recall.

Not The Nine O'Clock News -love it all -i even think the song Nice Video Shame About The Song is a genuinely great song :thumb:

Or the little treasure often used to humiliate the new barmaid, telephone call, new barmaid answers, is Mike Hunt in tonite? She answers, "I don't know I'm new." Shout it out then...if he's in he'll answer.
"Has anyone seen Mike H**t"....you get the drift

Have to say that the "Wild? I was livid!" line
It was a variant of an earlier Chic Murray gag about a guy taking his dog to the vet to be put down: "Why, is he mad?", "Mad? He's livid!".

It was a variant of an earlier Chic Murray gag about a guy taking his dog to the vet to be put down: "Why, is he mad?", "Mad? He's livid!".

Thanks, didn't know that.

However, I think the joke works far better in the NTNOCN context, as in the case above, there's no plausible explanation for why the dog would be mad, other than about being put down - the double meaning is missing.

Sounds like a textbook case of taking a poorly-crafted joke and fashioning it into a classic.

Or the little treasure often used to humiliate the new barmaid, telephone call, new barmaid answers, is Mike Hunt in tonite? She answers, "I don't know I'm new." Shout it out then...if he's in he'll answer.
"Has anyone seen Mike H**t"....you get the drift

Bart Simpson to Moe the barman...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom