Car Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Caonima

Car
SLK
I am in the need of a new (second hand) car for day to day drive. I currently have an SLK but am in the process of selling it as it sadly no longer meets my needs as I am doing more work with horses than I was last year....

I am looking to spend a max of 8K. The car needs to be an automatic, with good MPG that wont have any issues being driven around country lanes. Any ideas? Much appreciated

I'd be looking at something like a W204 C220. Diesel if doing lots of miles ,otherwise a petrol model.
If the C class is a bit too small, a late W211 or early W212 E220 would also fit the bill.

Watch out for London’s emissions zones in relation to older diesels ?

SKODA SUPERB ESTATE?
Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale
c3c4bff7d74348db9f4a93d1a56f7f0a.jpg

Unfortunately you're between the hammer and the envil here....

Diesel will be economic especially when driving out of busy city centres, but EU5 will land you with a non-ULEZ-compliant car, while EU6 means BlueTEC engine with complex emissions systems and potentially large repair bills.

So petrol will be a better option, but then you won't get Diesel mpg out of a petrol engine.

I would prioritise it as follows:

- Avoid EU6 BlueTEC Diesel at all cost.

- Opt for EU5 Diesel if ULEZ is not an issue for you (i.e. it's not coming to your area, or if you will not be travelling through it very often).

- I ULEZ is an issue, than opt for a petrol car. For your budget, a C-Class 180 CGI from 2013 or 2014 (but not earlier) will have the M274 1.6L Turbo engine which is quite frugal (for a petrol).

Thanks for all the replies. ULEZ is not a huge concern for me. These days, I rarely go into London. My issue with petrol cars is the appalling MPG. In my experience, unless you are driving a Jap box of some kind, its just dreadful. I actually went to look at a 2012 BMW 3 series this evening.

Thanks for all the replies. ULEZ is not a huge concern for me. These days, I rarely go into London. My issue with petrol cars is the appalling MPG. In my experience, unless you are driving a Jap box of some kind, its just dreadful. I actually went to look at a 2012 BMW 3 series this evening.
I've not heard of Japanese cars necessarily being more economical than non-Japanese ones (when comparing like-for-like of course).

Then there's the Dieselgate software update to consider...... :doh:

Do buy a petrol car... please :D

There are a handful of diesels that have managed to achieve EU6 without using adblue and and the other associated complexities. The wife's Kuga is an example.

I am quite set on a 2012 BMW 320d SE that I have found. Full BMW service history. Recently had the EGR valve done. 2 owners. Private sale.

The 320d is surprisingly fast and economical.

Make sure the oil has been changed regularly and change the oil well before the idrive reminds you. The BMW service intervals are very long, like 19k miles or more, and that is not good once you reach 100k miles (the infrequent oil changes start to take their toll).

Make sure the oil has been changed regularly and change the oil well before the idrive reminds you. The BMW service intervals are very long, like 19k miles or more, and that is not good once you reach 100k miles (the infrequent oil changes start to take their toll).

That's really interesting. I am shocked that its not the other way around. The car has always been serviced with BMW. Mileage is 86K. Seller seems genuine enough. I met with him last night. I am always super careful when I buy my cars. Do a crazy amount of research to ensure the car is genuine. Any red flags and I'm out! Always buy privately.

Interesting comment about the oil. Is there any evidence that points to excessive wear at 100k or so? Use the right oil and don't drive like a loon and all will be good I would have thought (being a researcher in lubrication and wear!) Oils and bearings are so good now that its difficult to even make stuff wear out on purpose...

Interesting comment about the oil. Is there any evidence that points to excessive wear at 100k or so? Use the right oil and don't drive like a loon and all will be good I would have thought (being a researcher in lubrication and wear!) Oils and bearings are so good now that its difficult to even make stuff wear out on purpose...

Now I am curious. Is that your actual job? Do you work with cars specifically?

I didn't study engineering, so can't comment on the technical aspect, but I did study psychology so I feel qualified to comment on human nature...

And the issue with long mileage service intervals is that the majority of cars never do this sort of mileage annually, and so it can encourage some owners to skip the annual service on the premise that the car 'hardly did half the mileage' of the service interval. And that means that the engine might be constantly running on diluted, contaminated, oxidised oil due to low mileage and short journeys with a cold engine, and no chance for the oil to expel the contaminants via frequent long motorway runs at full operating temperature.

Contaminats are usually held in suspension by dispersants with their lovely little polar heads and hydrocarbon tails .

Some moisture can burn off though .

Some manufacturers drop the ball....

49058649696_279b8f664b_o.jpg

20190515_092810.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom