Car Auctions - advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Hi - I'm looking to buy my granddaughter her first car - and as she is 17 I want this to be a Group 1 car. Has anyone bought a car from an auction? If so what sort of price saving should I be looking to save? Obviously it has to be driven away - how can this be arranged if the car is untaxed? Insurance I can arrange over the phone with my broker - but is it illegal to drive it away without tax? Or does one have any leeway in this?

As you can tell this is all new to me so any advice would be gratefully received.

Also any good auction sites (I dont mind travelling) My budget is under £4,000...for a group 1 car...

Hi Mate,

this is my job so could probably help you if you wish.

if you fancy travelling down to Measham, im always there on a tuesday.

technically you are not insured if the car is untaxed. In theory you should get the car taxed and then collect (or have trade plate). However the practicalities of this make it impossible and therefore most will take the risk driving it home.
Before i had trade plates i was stopped for this. Simple explanation and evidence of purchase and the officer let me drive home with a slap on the wrist.

If you dont want to take the risk, most auctions have a delivery service.

In terms of saving, on a 4k car you could look to save £1000-1500 off forecourt prices.

Hope that helps.

Jay

Crockers, I don't have any answers, but my son hits 17 soon as well, and I was thinking about the same thing, and I am an auction virgin as well. So will be watching this thread with interest.

I should add that if you are new to it then its not the easiest of processes to get used to.
For one you have to understand what the auctioneer is saying, not just the current bid but also any defects, info relating to history etc and to new ears this takes a bit of getting used to. They speak very fast and seem to adopt a broken irish accent!

You will almost certainly miss the first couple you set your mind on due to this.

Try and take someone who has been before to help you.

BCA have a website with useful info and lots of sites around the country. Blackbushe J4 M3 is my local one, well worth going to a few auctions to see how it all works before buying anything.
BCA Auctions

Also Manheim Car Auctions

I spent £4K at auction a few years back for the then missus. It was the only time I've ever done well out of car ownership, I got a nice Peugeot 306 for well under book price (saved about £1250 over forecourt price) which we ran for three years and sold for the going rate purchase despite me sourcing it this way. Like Martin suggests I went to a few auctions at BCA Bedford with no intention of buying just to get a feel for the place and watch others at work. All in all a really positive experience. Oh, and I chanced my arm driving it home un-taxed. Like I said that was a bit before ANPR and other tools of beelzebub.

It would be easy to get carried away buying a more exotic car but given the recipient of your purchase that will keep the mind focused.

Good luck!

Hello

From what I remember get a full length leather coat (Dell boy style) and hold a fag and rolled up copy of glasses guide or similar :)

I use to go a fair bit, it is worth going and checking out what goes on, they do speak quick and a car your interested in can come and go quick..

You are allowed to look in them, and if there is one your interested in wait until they start and drive it through so you can watch for smoke etc and hear it. Some I'm sure you can get the keys and have a check, under bonnet etc..

Make sure you check whats with the car as in paper work.

Its a bit of a shock for your first visit but some are much better than others..

best bit of advice have a limit and stick to it.

What sort of car are you after?

good luck

BCA have started fitting LCD screens each side of the auctioneers rostrum so even if you can't understand what he is saying, you can see the car on sales spec and history and the current bidding price as it goes up...........much easier for the private buyers with untrained ears to keep track! :)
Catalogues can often be viewed online a few days before or picked up on the day.
Take your time make a day of it, as they often get quieter later in the day when many have spent there money and are heading home (most sites also do a good breakfast and lunch in their on site cafe).

I have been to several auctions and bought from there. My advice.....do your homework and decide on the make and model you are looking for. Then when you get to the auction and find what you want don't get carried away. Make sure you know the book value of the car and stick to what you intend to pay. If it goes above what you wnat to pay for it, walk away.

You find at a lot of the auctions where you find the general public, they tend to get the auction fever and start to bid way over the price of what you could buy the car for on the outside !

Also remember, basically what you see fo a few minutes is what you get !

Also group 1 cars are very popluar with the dealers as they sell easily, so you will have some stiff competition on the bidding.

Yep, definitely take someone in the know. I've never come majorly unstuck but did pay over the odds for my current car- A trader friend of mine was also at the same auction and remarked later that everything was going over odds-

It's a funny old game- On the days when there are a lot of private buyers all the prices are up a bit, but if no-one's after your chosen car you can get it for a song!

Biggest tip I can give is DONT GET CARRIED AWAY

Set a price in your mind, AND STICK TO IT dont get sucked in to paying more then you wish, Its easy done in the feeding frenzy, with bids flying.

Some traders will have some m8's with him or m8's also in the trade there, They will bid the car up untill they think there losing you and then stop, Leaving you with a car you didnt want or paid more then you wanted.

Seen it happen a 100 times

Look on web sites like autotrader get a good sence of retail prices, jot them down on a pad, Then you will have a really good idea on the selling price and your poss saving.

Last edited:
Read the notice regarding the auctioneers indemnity charges. a major additional expense for a private buyer and a rip-off that can't be avoided.

The biggest tip when going to an auction.....sound out your potential buys. Check them inside out, outside in. Open the engine, look for any repairs etc. Make sure the car seems totally viable etc etc. Then if there is more than 1 car (of the same type) you are after, make sure u use the first car as your "biatch" so you can see how much the auction going rate is!

Oh and make sure you know much roughly the car you sought after is selling for (non-auction rate)

Personally, if buying for a 17 year old new to car ownership, I would think the finest thing you could give her is a proper 12 month guarantee from a proper dealer. And a local dealer at that, who will look after the car.

There are cars that are great bargains at auction but usually unpopular makes and engine sizes. Popular small engined cars are a very competitive market -especially at the moment with such high petrol prices. Lots of bargains in lots of dealers at this time of year too.

Here's just one example on a useful site. It has FSH, only 45k miles, 2003 Polo, about £4k.
http://www.vcars.co.uk/used-cars/cardetails.php?t=motortrack&u=17185

Last edited:
Why dont you book an MOT at a garage on your way home, you are allowed to drive a car untaxed to get an MOT.

I've been to blackbushe a few times. A few tips I've picked up from old stagers there:

1. Decide what vehicle(s) you want and stick with it. You can download the list in advance
2. Check the car visually - bodywork, general level of wear and tear relative to age/mileage (shiny steering wheel does not equal 30k miles!)
3. Be next to/behind the vehicle when the driver starts it to go into the auction hall - gives you a chance to watch for tell tale smoke from the exhaust/nasty noises etc. You will still have time to get into the hall to bid if all is OK.
4. Ex-lease cars tend to be a good buy - generally reasonably well maintained
5. End of the day is better - so cars late in the list
6. Private punters seem to pay extraordinary prices - I've seen cars go for way over forecourt price. In theory you can get a vehicle for trade plus £50, but not if other private buyers are there!
7. Be patient. It might take several trips to get what you want.

I don't think you're right here Jay, the Tax doesn't affect insurance as it's not connected to roadworthyness.

Hi Will,

Your insurance is invalidated with most companies in the event of an accident or claim if the vehicle is unlicensed.
The police take the same view, so if you do get stopped they will do you on both counts... been there got the T shirt, but was let off as i mentioned above...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom