Car Badge Meanings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are completely wrong about the Aston Martin badge. It was not based on the Bentley wings at all but is the stylised wings of the scarab beetle, reflecting the keen interest in Egyptology at the time..

Who designed the first AM logo with wings as it wasn't the scarab beetle verson?

Although it was different in design, with the wings spreading upwards, I believe it was based on the scarab throughout. I believe it was Sammy Davis who designed it.

Last edited:
AMLogos.jpg

Yes, Sammy Davis designed the 4th version, which is more angular and he said was based on the scarab beetle. The other two do look more like birds wings, especially number 3 in your picture, which dates from 1927-1929. The 2nd one down in your picture dates from 1930-1932 and that appears to have at least some of the angular features of Sammy's later design. I shall have to do some more research, i.e pore over lots of dead trees. (Reminder to self, put the article on the AMOC website when I find it.)

I have never heard them described as being cribbed from Bentley though, even by my friends in the BOC. I would have thought the Lagonda wings would have been more possibly based on that marque, Lagonda in its heyday being a direct rival to Bentley.

Last edited:
I seem to recall the wings having some native American connection to do with Ohio, where the Lagonda founder was from. Looks a bit like a native American headdress or a soaring eagle.

2 things.

1. you guys should inform that website so that you can help them be correct.

2. Travlled to Edinburgh yesterday, One unmakred Mercedes had pulled in a Vanquish. Was travelling back from Edinburgh today and we saw a V8 and a DB9 on the M something or other. I told my colleague about the test drive I had in the V8 a few years back, and mentioned the trouble with Astons is they spend too much time broken down.

4 miles on, 1 x DB9 in hard shoulder, Hazards on, Man looking at car bemused.

Point made I think.

1. Have already done so.

2. You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Not sure about the Mercedes one either. the text says.
The three pointed star of Mercedes' logo represents their domination of land, sea, and air. First used on a Daimler in 1909, a laurel wreath was added in 1926 to signify the union with Benz, and was later simplified to the current logo design in 1937.

But I thought it had come from the factory workers union.

Start at 8, Lunch at 12, finish at 4....

LOL. Of course the site is correct about the Mercedes Star. It would have been four pointed, the fourth point to signify space but Daimler's mother convinced him man would never go into space...

Last edited:
Given the times they'd be lucky for that these days...

If what I'm led to believe is correct working hours in Germany are shorter than in the UK - both official, and actual. Sounds about right.

I told my colleague about the test drive I had in the V8 a few years back, and mentioned the trouble with Astons is they spend too much time broken down.

Modern era, you are so wrong, pre 2006 you are probably correct.

Volvo parts are more reliable nowadays ;):D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom