Car came back from service with crack in bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wongl

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180CDI, B200d, C300h, SLK250
Took my car to main dealership for a routine service.

Upon collecting my car from the dealership I noticed a crack in the rear bumper. I pointed this out to the service manager who denied putting the crack in my rear bumper.

Where do I stand? My word against the dealership.

Last edited:
Where do I stand? My words against the dealership.

I'd say so.
I'd find another dealer or an indy if you are sure it happened there.
They are dishonest and I wouldn't trust them with servicing either now.

Thank goodness you didn't have dash cam...the slating you'd have got on this forum if you actually had proof!!!

Car is on a four-year service plan, so my regular Indy (Steve Garlick) is of no use.

My regular dealership couldn't fit the service in to suit my visit back to the UK, so with regret, selected the next nearest main dealership for the service as I only had a few days in the UK on this visit. Car was nearly 90 days over its service schedule (although only a few thousand miles since its last service in 2015) so I didn't want to delay till my next visit back to the UK.

Last edited:
Was the car inspected for damage by the dealership before it was accepted for service? If it was then the dealer is liable, if it wasn't then you haven't got a leg to stand on.

Thank goodness you didn't have dash cam...the slating you'd have got on this forum if you actually had proof!!!

Sadly I don't have a webcam fitted, but would consider fitting one if only they are more inconspicuous. Perhaps a flatter (more OEM) look?

Was the car inspected for damage by the dealership before it was accepted for service? If it was then the dealer is liable, if it wasn't then you haven't got a leg to stand on.

Apparently the dealer did not inspect the car for damages before starting work on it.

Did you?

Apparently the dealer did not inspect the car for damages before starting work on it.
I always get them to inspect my car with me present, as I got caught out a few years back with a cracked rear bumper which they denied any knowledge of,

wongl said:
Sadly I don't have a webcam fitted, but would consider fitting one if only they are more inconspicuous. Perhaps a flatter (more OEM) look?

They don't need to be inconspicuous and can be fully on show as a mechanic from the Bristol dealer recently found out :devil: :rock:

would consider fitting one if only they are more inconspicuous.

Mine fits in behind the RVM and doesn't protrude lower than it. From my driving position, it's barely visible, and mine isn't the smallest I've seen. I can get a picture from the drivers seat if it'd help.

If they didn't examine it then it's your word against theirs. How much do you want to push it? Do you want to use the dealer again? How much are we talking about? It still carries more weight if you make any complaint by letter to the General Manager or Head Office.

Write to the Dealer Principle

Mine fits in behind the RVM and doesn't protrude lower than it. From my driving position, it's barely visible, and mine isn't the smallest I've seen. I can get a picture from the drivers seat if it'd help.

Hi iconica. I would be interested in seeing pics etc as I may fit one to mine, if it ever comes back from the dealer for its repsray.

It is not so much that it is visible to the driver, but its visibility to potential vandals. A colleague of mine had his car broken into by some vandals who though that it was funny to smash up the dash cam. What is the point of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom