Car changes slightly directions when going in pot holes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekCL

Car
Mercedes E55 W211 (2004), BMW 640d GC (2016), BMW 645Ci (2004), Mini Cooper D (2008))
Hello guys,

This problem refers to my W215 CL500 '00

Once I drive in a straight road, and I am going about 50mph if one of the front wheels enter a pot hole the car will jump parralel a few cm. It will not change direction it will continue straight, but it just feels like it jumps parallel. I am confused... as it is furstrating.

Also it seems the car does not like strong cross winds, I know it is a big car, but my Cougar did not know what a cross wind it ... it was going like it was stack on the tarmac. I cannot believe that a Mercedes of this class has problems like this.

I thought it was the front ball joints so had them replaced last year, but did not seem to have solved the problem.

Does anyone have a clue what it might be? Did anyone have the same or similar problem?

Engaging the ABC Sport button does not make any difference, and different ride heights does not make any difference either.

Cheers
V

I would get the geometry checked especially camber and toe.

Are the tyres wearing evenly across the full width of tread ?

Hello guys,

This problem refers to my W215 CL500 '00

Once I drive in a straight road, and I am going about 50mph if one of the front wheels enter a pot hole the car will jump parralel a few cm. It will not change direction it will continue straight, but it just feels like it jumps parallel. I am confused... as it is furstrating.

Also it seems the car does not like strong cross winds, I know it is a big car, but my Cougar did not know what a cross wind it ... it was going like it was stack on the tarmac. I cannot believe that a Mercedes of this class has problems like this.

I thought it was the front ball joints so had them replaced last year, but did not seem to have solved the problem.

Does anyone have a clue what it might be? Did anyone have the same or similar problem?

Engaging the ABC Sport button does not make any difference, and different ride heights does not make any difference either.

Cheers
V

Not sure on your wheel and tyre set up but this has all the classic symptoms of wheels being too big for the car and too low a profile of the tyre, a lot of people make this mistake and I've driven a lot of modded cars with virtually no sidewall on the tyre and they do exactly what you describe, not sure if this is the cause in your case though.

As for cross winds I nearly came to grief in a BMW M5 on track doing about 140 mph got hit by a crosswind, talk about make the car unstable I nearly lost it completely and it took some getting back, apparently they are known for high speed instability in crosswinds so guess yours would not be the first German marque to suffer but it could also be linked to the earlier problem you mention.

Hello guys thank you for the replies.

1st answer : the tyres are wearing evenly, I even change front to back but no difference, the problem still exists.

2nd and 3rd answer : no I have the 17inch box standard alloys, same offset all around, same dimensions all around. 225's with same height I think 45s (if I remember correct).

I though it was the geometry as well... I found a 3rd party which would do all round setup for £120. MB is too dear with £500....

:dk:

Isn't crosswind instability often a direct result of straight on aerodynamic effciency.?

Has your car got the standard offset wheels, if not that will cause tramlining and jumping.

It cannot be more box standard, here are the alloys it has on. .. they have Dunlop SP Sport on them with the MB stamp on the tread. All around 225's as shown in the service book as well.

How ever these 2 are two different problems high speed instability is another thing
and changing direction with 50mph is another thing
I just thought they might have a link?? who knows

IMG_0312.jpg

Hi,

I had this problem and it was a wheel bearing issue.

Strange....the scuttle is something i had all the time with my M3 convertible as it had the factory 19 inch wheels and it hated any kind of uneven road and scuttled across the road as you describe....Its odd that yours does it as your wheels dont appear to be over sized with ultra low profile tyres.....

I guess that my worn and half functioning ABC pump will not be the fault to all these problems. All those problems was there before the pump fails :S

cross wind protection

I guess that my worn and half functioning ABC pump will not be the fault to all these problems. All those problems was there before the pump fails :S

Hi, the CL (W215) has cross wind stabilisation as standard (feature of the ABC). If the car is being effected by cross wind then the car will automatically adjust the suspension to compensate. As for skipping/jumping/tram-lining my car does it too. The recomended tyre for the CL (by MB) is a 245/45 as standard. Hope this is of some help.:thumb:

I would get the geometry checked especially camber and toe.

Are the tyres wearing evenly across the full width of tread ?

I agree with this post about having the geometry properly checked. However, if it is at fault, then it is most likely a neutral caster angle causing the problem.

Bigger wheels and low tyre wall heights, as has been said already, cause these problems but so too would excessive play in the steering and don't forget the basics such as tyre pressures.
Tyres tramline all the time in normal driving and it only becomes a problem when this side-ways movement is transferred to the rim. It's also possible that because you are highly aware of the problem you may well be anticipating the effect and over compensate the steering without even being aware of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom