Car clamping - it's game over for the cowboys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About flipping time. How a group of lawless buffoons could even be allowed to exist this long amazes me.

Hopefully their income will dry up, and the bailiffs will come and clamp their tow trucks.

While everyone whinges about clamping, and some of them take the mickey I do think to ban it is unfair on landowners.

As part of my job I manage various buildings. A few years ago one of these was close to the centre of Doncaster, with a car park at the rear that could not practically be secured.

The building was let to multi-tenants. Biggest part of my job was dealing with car parking complaints, including the public using the car park, people deliberately parking outside bays to make it easier to get in and out (instead of reversing in) and making other spaces very hard to access and parking in each others space. A great ball of poo basically.

After various letters etc which were ignored we went to he nuclear option. Clampers. Public problem stopped. The people who would park outside their bays, did not. The only problem we had was when a firm of solicitors sent staff without passes who got clamped - and then lied.

I personally think the problem is the system and it should be fixed, not outlawed,

After all why should the government get to use clamps, and not private land-owners?

While everyone whinges about clamping, and some of them take the mickey I do think to ban it is unfair on landowners.

As part of my job I manage various buildings. A few years ago one of these was close to the centre of Doncaster, with a car park at the rear that could not practically be secured.

The building was let to multi-tenants. Biggest part of my job was dealing with car parking complaints, including the public using the car park, people deliberately parking outside bays to make it easier to get in and out (instead of reversing in) and making other spaces very hard to access and parking in each others space. A great ball of poo basically.

After various letters etc which were ignored we went to he nuclear option. Clampers. Public problem stopped. The people who would park outside their bays, did not. The only problem we had was when a firm of solicitors sent staff without passes who got clamped - and then lied.

I personally think the problem is the system and it should be fixed, not outlawed,

After all why should the government get to use clamps, and not private land-owners?

If you read carefully it still can be towed but not by cowboys but the police. I have persistence offenders parking in the pavement in front of my house, I reported it to the police and accordingly the police re-educate offenders, this is what the police are for.

If you read carefully it still can be towed but not by cowboys but the police. I have persistence offenders parking in the pavement in front of my house, I reported it to the police and accordingly the police re-educate offenders, this is what the police are for.

It's rubbish. There is no way you are going to get attention from the Police while a car is parked badly or in someone else's space in a private car park. If you do, then no doubt the car will be long gone by the time they get there.

Persistent Offenders do not help stop those who jump in for a 1/2 an hour, and what is a Persistent Offender anyway?

I agree with the clampers being very tightly controlled, with maximum fee caps and independent appeal tribunals. I don't agree with taking landowners rights to control parking.

But the pavement isn't private property is it?

We had a debate here before regarding the police refusing to take action against somebody parking in front of a dropped curb and iirc the police were powerless to deal with it saying it was local authority controlled.

private clamping is outlawed in Scotland and has been for 20 years but the sytem works up there where private landowners are protected and so are drivers.

Last edited:

Totally understand the problem many landowners face, the general public will try anything on. However, there are access control devices that would stop the public, a considerable cost to said landlords perhaps, but the price of modern society. The problem is these outlaws were not and could not be controlled, so had to go.

It's rubbish. There is no way you are going to get attention from the Police while a car is parked badly or in someone else's space in a private car park. If you do, then no doubt the car will be long gone by the time they get there.

Persistent Offenders do not help stop those who jump in for a 1/2 an hour, and what is a Persistent Offender anyway?

I agree with the clampers being very tightly controlled, with maximum fee caps and independent appeal tribunals. I don't agree with taking landowners rights to control parking.

As in the article, there is no law to say private land owners cannot build barriers and fencings if they dont want someone else to park on their private property.

Clampers took the opportunity to milk from parkers.

As in the article, there is no law to say private land owners cannot build barriers and fencings if they dont want someone else to park on their private property.

Clampers took the opportunity to milk from parkers.

I'm not sure it should be necessary to do that really.

What gives drivers a right to park on any piece of land that they see without a fence or gate.

Daily Mail winging at it's best imo.

Incidentally I did see on another forum someone ask what the Scottish system was. This was the answer.

10.jpg

Ireland judging by the mural ?

^^^^

that's Northern Ireland

I know - if you follow the link it goes too BBC Ireland. I think it was the concept rather than the specific instance.

Fair point :eek: and very practical too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom