Car cover for storing in garage, W204 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTank88

Car
14' C63 Diamond White Coupe
I'm thinking of getting a car cover for when my cars stored in the garage for several weeks at a time.

I've noticed it gets dusty when I leave in there for a few weeks at a time and as I tend to wash it before storing it, kind of ruins the work.

Any suggestions if it's a good idea or recommendations where to purchase from?

I'm thinking of getting a car cover for when my cars stored in the garage for several weeks at a time.

I've noticed it gets dusty when I leave in there for a few weeks at a time and as I tend to wash it before storing it, kind of ruins the work.

I’m having a completely bespoke outdoor half-cover made (not from templates). It’s going to be measured on Saturday. Their reputation is very good but I’ll be able to let you know how good next week.

I'm always doing something in the garage which creates dust so both my bike and car are usually covered up when clean and dry. For me the quality of indoor covers is not that important provide they are dust proof and don't cause scratches, so mine are cheap lightweight covers from Aldi. They fit well and do the job. Bear in mind the outside of the cover will get dirty over the long term so you will want to clean it at some stage otherwise it will muck up the car when being fitted. I just fit the cover outside on the drive then wash it. When dry I turn it inside out and wash it again. Finally I wash the car !

A car cover in particular can be a bit of a pain to fit single handed so I would avoid getting one that's too tight a fit. No real need for elasticated ends indoors but most covers still have them and it makes for more fuss when fitting. Don't anyone be tempted to use some old bed sheets stitched together. Much easier to fit and they breath but very fine dust can go straight through them.

Last edited:
I regularly leave cars in a garage for several weeks at time. I always cover them with agricultural fleece which is very soft and breathable but prevents dust and insect droppings. It is designed as an outdoor plant frost cover. It is cheap too so I replace every couple of years. I usually buy 3m x 6m to fully cover the car.

I'm not sure if it's so readily available in the UK but a quick look on ebay shows you can buy it in 2m wide by any length. As example 2.1M Wide Frost Protection Garden Fleece Plant Winter Cover Crop,tree up to 100m | eBay Possibly a search will find other widths

Indoors I would use this in preference to any tailor made cover.

001 (2).jpg

Reactions: 190

Take a look at the Cosmos range. I have one for my R231 SL and is a perfect fit, easy to use and does what needs doing for a car indoors.

As above unlike outdoor covers indoor ones aren't critical in terms of fit (because they're not going to flap about in the wind, which can damage the paintwork). On my R129 I use a generic soft cotton cover from eBay, which works fine. But there's no problem with using a bespoke one, if you want to spend the money :) ;)

1638967997229.png

Best thing i ever bought
20210825-101623.jpg
[/url]

Is that a ‘carcoon’ (terrible name)?

How does it stand up - and how does it hold up in wind?

No not a carcoon they are 2 separate pieces with a base you drive on then place the top over the car zip it together then inflate which I didn't like the idea of as i had 1 for the harley ,this 1 is an airchamber with a frame zip the front off and drive in it also has a door on each side to exit it wouldn't be any good outside but the fans are permanently on so it inflats slightly to stifen up

Attachments

• IMG-20211208-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211208-WA0000.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20211208-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20211208-WA0002.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20211208-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211208-WA0001.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 11
No not a carcoon they are 2 separate pieces with a base you drive on then place the top over the car zip it together then inflate which I didn't like the idea of as i had 1 for the harley ,this 1 is an airchamber with a frame zip the front off and drive in it also has a door on each side to exit it wouldn't be any good outside but the fans are permanently on so it inflats slightly to stifen up
Not all Carcoons are as you describe above. I had a Carcoon Veloce and they are the same as your Airchamber.

I have a w204 car cover here you are welcome to use, its only been used a handful of times foc

hey fit well and do the job. Bear in mind the outside of the cover will get dirty over the long term so you will want to clean it at some stage otherwise it will muck up the car when being fitted.

I bought one from Halfords. Its an outdoor cover and has a soft fleece lining with a silvery exterior.
It gives better protection from knocks and bumps than the thin indoor covers and cost around £60.
Auto Express best buy....
Russ

To be fair with an indoor cover you can get away with a more generic design as you don't have to factor in windy conditions and it not moving.

I user a Sahara cover from Coveryourcar.co.uk for my Twingo. It's stored in a heated carpeted car lock up so it's not exposed to the elements so it's purely as a dust cover.

oDA5W46.jpg

If it's stored in a slightly damp or I guess slightly 'outside' type garage then you could go for a slightly more hardcore cover but again you're not going to have to worry too much about wind moving the cover or lifting it.

I did look at some of the bespoke, indoor covers with designs on etc. but £300+ when it's inside seemed overkill other than it look nice! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom