Car cover for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RajHundal

Car
R129 SL320
New to MB ownership and wanted to protect my investment in the winter months with a car cover.

I've got no idea about the types that are available but I would assume that protecting against the inside scratching the paint and being water repellant are top of the list of "must haves" in a car cover.

I've not doubt missed other considerations out!

The car is an R129 and i would appreciate any recommendations or products that have served you well!

There's a lot of stuff written about covers. I'm assuming you mean an outdoor cover.

I'm not so sure these are a good idea unless it's something like a

Carcoon Storage Systems.

Seems to me the rest don't allow for air to circulate which is a problem.

I used a cover on my R129 for a couple of years. The main thing is that you must get a good quality tailored one that fits the car exactly. Otherwise it will flap when the wind blows and this will eventually mark the paint. Mine was a 'Noah' from Covercraft:

Covercraft Europe is the worlds largest maker of custom-fit car covers, motorbike & scooter covers, jet-ski covers, pet covers, pet pads and cargotech bags

They even do different versions for pre/post '99 facelift R129 because they have different shaped door mirrors.

After a couple of years mine was still in excellent condition and I sold it on to a member here.

There are quite a few previous threads on this subject btw.

There's a lot of stuff written about covers. I'm assuming you mean an outdoor cover.

I'm not so sure these are a good idea unless it's something like a

Carcoon Storage Systems.

Seems to me the rest don't allow for air to circulate which is a problem.

I agree. Most car covers act as big humidifiers and are the cause of more problems than they solve. My car is outside all year round and I have not had any weather related problems. (my wife's car is a better fit in the garage along with all the auto jumble accumulated over the years!)

Yes CC make good kit, I have one of their indoor covers.

Was air circulation a problem for you Bill?

Was air circulation a problem for you Bill?

No, but it was a breathable cover. Not cheap mind you ... I think something over £300 and that was maybe 9 years ago.

I use a Covercraft weathershield on the 124 when its in Italy. Its left for up to 8-10 weeks at a time and so far all good. No damage to the paintwork. It does at times get condensation underneath but it is breathable and soon clears. Our parking area is surrounded by Lime trees that drop sticky sap all summer so the cover has been a godsend for me.

i was bought a stormshield 4 ply cover for my w202 estate last year and its custom fitted to the shape of my car.. after fitteing it i left it for a month and when i checked on the car the inside was full of mould..!!!! after cleaning all the mould off i then left the windows open an inch and the mould never came back.. the guy who resprayed my car lives local and passes my house each day.. he commented on the car cover and said its actually not good for the paint work and hes been painting cars for 50 years..... since then ive not bothered with the car cover..!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom